Different FPS levels for motion vs continuous?

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi friends. It's been a while since I had the time to sit down and branch out a bit to test different VMS's so I've been putting some time into doing that recently just to see what's changed and how updates have progressed over the last year or two. On the bench this week is a Dell rig with Win10 and the latest demo of Blue Iris. It's an i3-3240 system with 8GB of RAM, SSD for OS, 2TB WD Purple for storage. Despite it not being a high end system, and despite being on the demo where d2d isn't that effective, AND despite running 8 cameras @ mostly 3MP with one being 2MP (all 10 FPS), the system still manages to maintain pretty good CPU usage (50-55%). Occasional spikes, occasional dips, but nothing to write home about.

Having tinkered with Blue Iris in the past I have most things tweaked and configured, though I'm not sure if what I'm after is a supported feature of Blue Iris or if my memory is gray from other VMS's I messed with. Is there a means in which I can record continuously @ 10 FPS but downclock the motion detect to a lesser FPS, say 1 or 2 FPS? Or would that require setting up each camera twice within individual profiles (i.e. Front_Cam [Motion] @ 1 FPS as well as Front_Cam [Continuous] @ 10 FPS).

The thought process here is to leverage continuous recordings (been burned by relying on exclusively motion before) but still have motion alerts available to drill down the continuous feeds quickly but try to eek out whatever CPU cycle savings that might be possible compared to punching each cam through motion @ the regular FPS. It's not a big deal whatsoever but as I went full recon in the menu system I began to think perhaps it's there and I just haven't stumbled on it. If not, no worries, just wanted to ask to be sure.

Thanks all!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, BI only handles what it receives from the cam. It doesn't control frame rates.
So, you would have to clone a cam, and then use the cams substream set to a lower frame rate.
But why? Set BI to record continuous, and then setup BI triggers.
Motion triggers simply are place marks on the video recorded.

Any cams with little activity, you could lower their frame rate to say 5fps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi friends. It's been a while since I had the time to sit down and branch out a bit to test different VMS's so I've been putting some time into doing that recently just to see what's changed and how updates have progressed over the last year or two. On the bench this week is a Dell rig with Win10 and the latest demo of Blue Iris. It's an i3-3240 system with 8GB of RAM, SSD for OS, 2TB WD Purple for storage. Despite it not being a high end system, and despite being on the demo where d2d isn't that effective, AND despite running 8 cameras @ mostly 3MP with one being 2MP (all 10 FPS), the system still manages to maintain pretty good CPU usage (50-55%). Occasional spikes, occasional dips, but nothing to write home about.

Having tinkered with Blue Iris in the past I have most things tweaked and configured, though I'm not sure if what I'm after is a supported feature of Blue Iris or if my memory is gray from other VMS's I messed with. Is there a means in which I can record continuously @ 10 FPS but downclock the motion detect to a lesser FPS, say 1 or 2 FPS? Or would that require setting up each camera twice within individual profiles (i.e. Front_Cam [Motion] @ 1 FPS as well as Front_Cam [Continuous] @ 10 FPS).

The thought process here is to leverage continuous recordings (been burned by relying on exclusively motion before) but still have motion alerts available to drill down the continuous feeds quickly but try to eek out whatever CPU cycle savings that might be possible compared to punching each cam through motion @ the regular FPS. It's not a big deal whatsoever but as I went full recon in the menu system I began to think perhaps it's there and I just haven't stumbled on it. If not, no worries, just wanted to ask to be sure.

Thanks all!
Technically this can be done in blue iris, using the triggered+periodic/continuous (set properly as most leave defaults resulting in missed video) however this will defeat your purpose as BI will waste lots of cpu tossing the frames and reencoding the video.
If you set the recording to continuous you will still get the motion alerts and markers if you setup motion detection.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm, I see. I think I was misunderstanding the relationship with triggers versus continuous feeds. It sounds like the way I have it set up now might be fitting as-is (with the potential of tweaking triggers a bit, though despite being default they seem closer to what I'd consider accurate than what I was originally expecting).

I'll keep punching through some fine tuning though, but so far so good.

P.S. - UI3 is pretty outstanding. So far it feels like a pretty great replacement to not having a BI standalone client for, say, my laptop or regular desktop. Seems good on mobile too, though I'm still trying to figure out if I can make its portrait orientation behave a little more "portraity". Keeping my hands off of the native mobile client for now. If a BI purchase becomes reality I'll venture down that route.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, I see. I think I was misunderstanding the relationship with triggers versus continuous feeds. It sounds like the way I have it set up now might be fitting as-is (with the potential of tweaking triggers a bit, though despite being default they seem closer to what I'd consider accurate than what I was originally expecting).

I'll keep punching through some fine tuning though, but so far so good.

P.S. - UI3 is pretty outstanding. So far it feels like a pretty great replacement to not having a BI standalone client for, say, my laptop or regular desktop. Seems good on mobile too, though I'm still trying to figure out if I can make its portrait orientation behave a little more "portraity". Keeping my hands off of the native mobile client for now. If a BI purchase becomes reality I'll venture down that route.
Be sure to read the help file in UI3.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
May I add a question here? What does "triggered + continuous each" actually do, and why does everyone say not to use it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
May I add a question here? What does "triggered + continuous each" actually do, and why does everyone say not to use it?
It's explained in the help file..if setup wrong it will miss most video. Its also defeats direct to disk.