Disable Camera Based on Profile in Use?

T2cam

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any way to disable a camera base on a particular profile? For example, I'd like to have a profile I can assign to various cameras that ideally would have them in a disabled state but then when one camera that is in an Active state senses motion it would cause the others to switch over to an Active profile state and start recording. If this were possible I could keep my system resources to a minimum while one camera is in Active mode but once an event happens all the cameras designated come alive and start doing their thing for some predetermined time and then go back to a disabled mode until the next event happens.

The main reason I want to do this is because I've got 6 Dahua 3mp cameras that use a lot of system CPU resources. I've taken the advice here on the forum about lowering settings and have taken them from eating around 75% of my CPU all the way down to around 25% by lowering frame rates, direct to disk recording, bit rate reductions, but I have to say that I really like the quality of full 30fps with high bit rate. I'd be willing to use more system resources for short periods of time if I could control them in the manner mentioned above.

T2cam

n3wb
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you want the disabled camera not to display anything? or just prevent it from motion sensing recording?

T2cam

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd like it be disabled as in not displaying anything. That removes it from hitting the CPU altogether, but I'd like to become enabled and active if the group it's in gets triggered. This way I can have one camera or perhaps a few that are running at high frame rates and other settings to monitor things and then if something happens to trigger an event then the other cameras come alive and start doing their thing at high settings. I'm trying to keep system resources to minimum until they're needed, at which point I don't care if the CPU hits 100% for the duration of the event. Afterwards all cameras in that group go essentially dormant by going back to disabled mode until the next group event.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not believe you can do this....i know you are trying to minimize impact but it cannot be done as far as i know...also consider this...even if say you could do it, you will miss any an all pretrigger frames from the disabled cameras...additionally there is a few second delay when you switch a camera from disable to enabled...

T2cam

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I understand that I"d be "blind" on the disabled cameras and the subsequent start up times, but I'd have enough lead time from the other trigger cameras to compensate for it. Thanks for the info in any case.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you could do this using BIcommand.exe. In the camera options of the "disable" camera on the general tab check the profiles you want the camera to be active. Then in the "alert" camera alert tab use "Run a program or execute a script" to run a BIcommand to change profiles to one where the "disable" camera is active. If the "disable" camera record is set to continuous it should start to record when active. When the alert event is over use "Run file again when trigger is reset" to change back to a profile that is inactive.

From the help:
Use the Active during profiles checkboxes to force the camera to be inactive during specific profiles. If unchecked for the current profile, the camera will be inactive, meaning no recording or alerts. If you have unselected the option to "Continue to display and stream live video while inactive" on the Schedule tab, the camera will behave as though disabled (no video display).