Disable IR on IP cam

Jim Armour

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS 7608 NVR with 4 Hikvision cameras. I need to disable the IR on one of them but the option is not available via the NVR web interface or the IVMS 4200 client.

If I use SADP to modify the camera IP then i can connect it to my network, log on to the camera directly and modify the IR but then the camera wont connect to the NVR.

Looking for help on how to either access camera directly when connected to the NVR or how to get the NVR to see the camera after modifying the IP settings on the camera. I have tried setting the IP back to 192.168.254.x and I have tried setting the camera to DHCP but the NVR won't see it unless i do a factory reset on the camera.

Please help.

achernar

n3wb
Reaction score
From the Network Video Recorder User Manual:
11.2.11 Configuring Virtual Host Purpose:
You can directly get access to the IP camera management interface after enabling this function.
Configuration > Remote Configuration > Network Settings > Advanced

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
+1 enable virtual host. also, you can only enable it when accessing the NVR via web browser

Jim Armour

n3wb
Reaction score
+1 enable virtual host. also, you can only enable it when accessing the NVR via web browser
Thanks.

I will look at this when i get home. I only have remote access via the IVMS 4200 client and that option is not there. However, the manual I have for the DS-7608 does NOT show sections like 11.2.11. It is just chapters. Chapter 11 is NVR management and shows nothing about configuring virtual host.

As I mentioned, I can connect the ip camera to my regular network, use SADP to change the IP of the camera and access the camera management that way but then when i connect the camera back to the POE port on the NVR it won't recognize it even in manual mode. I have to do a factory reset on the camera to get it to work with the NVR POE port

I will look at the web based interface this evening and report back.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The availability of Virtual Host is firmware version dependent.
What version of firmware is running on the NVR?
when i connect the camera back to the POE port on the NVR it won't recognize it even in manual mode.
I'd have expected that to work OK.
Did you change the camera IP address back with SADP to what it was, before re-connecting it?

Jim Armour

n3wb
Reaction score
The availability of Virtual Host is firmware version dependent.
What version of firmware is running on the NVR?

I'd have expected that to work OK.
Did you change the camera IP address back with SADP to what it was, before re-connecting it?

I tried changing it back to the camera (out of the box) default of 192.168.1.64 but out of the box the default gateway shows 0.0.0.0 which the SADP won't allow me to set. I also tried to set it to 192.168.254.3 for the POE port i am using for that camera. I also tried to enable DHCP and none of them work. When you access the camera directly (via the network and not the NVR) after factory default it needs to set a password and that may be an issue too. It seems like the POE ports have a fixed IP and only want to be plug and play. I am hoping the web access has that virtual host option that achernar mentioned. I will check firmware version tonight but i think i have the latest from the US site.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I also tried to set it to 192.168.254.3 for the POE port i am using for that camera.
If that is what the camera had, when originally connected to the NVR PoE port, that's what it should be set back to. This will be the same as the address the NVR channel is set to, under NVR 'camera management' in the web GUI.
Also you would need to set the camera default gateway back again.
After the original NVR Plug&Play setup the NVR will have set the camera value to 192.168.254.1
This would also have shown in the original values SADP found when you plugged the camera temporarily in to the LAN.

Jim Armour

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for responding to this post alastairstevenson. I don't think I set the gateway to 192.168.254.1 so that may be the key. I was sure I saw 0.0.0.0 in SADP for gateway but maybe it didn't refresh or something.. So if I set the IP/Gateway using SADP back to what the NVR is expecting to see will i still have to set the NVR to add the camera manually instead of plug and play? Once I make the camera changes (disable IR) through my network I am forced to set a password for the camera. Plug and Play does not allow for a password to be entered, only manual config. I'll be trying all this this evening when i get hoe and will report back.

Thanks again.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd expect the camera to simply be available again to the NVR with no NVR changes, just as if it had been unplugged and later plugged back in again.

Jim Armour

n3wb
Reaction score
First of all,

Thanks to achernar, Trax95008 and alastairstevenson for your support on this post.

Here's the update.

Firmware : V3.4.3 build 160822
Web Version 4.0.51 build 160822

I logged on via the web interface when i got home and managed to find the Network Settings > Advanced > Virtual host which did indeed add links on all the cameras through some high port numbers. I have disabled the IR and am now waiting for nightfall to see if the change works. If so, problem solved and I will likely disable the virtual host once I know for any added security.

achernar, would you happen to have a link to a pdf of your manual. The virtual host thing is not in my manual at all and i thought i had the most recent version. That golden nugget certainly helped.

alastairstevenson, since the virtual host on the web access has worked i am not going to disconnect my camera to try your suggestions (unless my changes didn't take effect). I am now pretty sure your comment on using the 192.168.254.1 gateway address was more than likely my issue in my previous attempts.

It's great to know there are fellow forum readers that are willing to share their knowledge. Thanks again.

Jim Armour

n3wb
Reaction score
Jim I don't know if you've seen this Hitting cameras web pages with a laptop in an NVR with POE it works well with my Hikvision NVR. The plugging into a POE port is useful- I use it as I can't get virtual host to work with a non Hikvision camera.
Thanks David,

Too bad i didn't find that post earlier

I had someone suggest to me to connect a laptop to one of the poe ports and create a static IP and subnet on the laptop. I was going to try that as a "plan C" since the NVR is well concealed on the top shelf of a closet and connecting through my network was the preferred "plan A". Thanks for commenting on it and hopefully it is now in a current thread that may help others.

Jim Armour

n3wb
Reaction score
I just went to the product section for my NVR model, and the user manual is on the download page (you have to click on "Download" to see the download page):

Hikvision Australia
Thanks achernar. So it turns out the Hikvision Canada page is not as current as some other countries. Even the firmware is older than the US site. The manuals on the US and Canada site are totally different than those on the Australia site. I just went to Hikvision Australia and the manuals are sectioned like you mentioned to me yesterday. 11.2.11 etc. I have downloaded a manual from that site and it appears to be more informative. Thanks for that.