Displaying Feed On PC Monitors Around Home

jdougal

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have several extra monitors in my home and I'd like to purpose them for showing the camera feeds. I currently have a laview (rebranded hikivison) and several hik cameras installed.

The NVR is in a closet away from the locations I'd be looking to place the monitors. Is there an easy way to get a feed displayed? Is running an HDMI cable from the NVR to the monitor the only real solution (sans building a powerful enough computer to stream and hook up to the monitor)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have several extra monitors in my home and I'd like to purpose them for showing the camera feeds. I currently have a laview (rebranded hikivison) and several hik cameras installed.

The NVR is in a closet away from the locations I'd be looking to place the monitors. Is there an easy way to get a feed displayed? Is running an HDMI cable from the NVR to the monitor the only real solution (sans building a powerful enough computer to stream and hook up to the monitor)?
hdmi over cat cable is the reliable solution..you can run something like tinycam on a firestick/android but it wont be 100 percent stable.

jdougal

n3wb
Reaction score
That's what I figured. I have cat6 run from the closet where the NVR and my media server are, to the basement where I'd like to place the monitor. It, however, dumps into a switch in the basement before being fed around the room. I'm assuming that'd kill any HDMI over Cat options, correct (I've never read up on it personally).

How reliable do you think the android stick option would be? It's not a critical item so 100% wouldn't be necessary, but would it be more hassle then its worth in your opinion?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I figured. I have cat6 run from the closet where the NVR and my media server are, to the basement where I'd like to place the monitor. It, however, dumps into a switch in the basement before being fed around the room. I'm assuming that'd kill any HDMI over Cat options, correct (I've never read up on it personally).

How reliable do you think the android stick option would be? It's not a critical item so 100% wouldn't be necessary, but would it be more hassle then its worth in your opinion?
yes...there are other options that feed the hdmi over tcp/ip but i have never used them...
using wifi to transmit video 24/7 is just not a good way of doing it..since you have network access at the point you wish to place your monitor, use an android or fire tv box that has ethernet..that should be pretty solid.