Dissapointed with hik 7604

Reaction score
Had blueiris running on an i7 4790k and the quality was great day and night with my 4mp hikvision cameras. Bought a 7604 and the quality at night is rubbish. Day is OK I guess. The IR is working at night.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Had blueiris running on an i7 4790k and the quality was great day and night with my 4mp hikvision cameras. Bought a 7604 and the quality at night is rubbish. Day is OK I guess. The IR is working at night.
The NVR has no bearing on the image quality, unless you are looking at the matrix view which uses the substream to display the video. In that case you need to increase the cameras substream resolution and bitrate. BI displays the main stream all the time.

dave7108

n3wb
Reaction score
I just read another thread about people using the I2 NVR as it has more processing power. I have 4 x 4 mp cameras at the mo do you think the E1 machine i have cant handle it?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just read another thread about people using the I2 NVR as it has more processing power. I have 4 x 4 mp cameras at the mo do you think the E1 machine i have cant handle it?
Ah crap, I knew this would happen, completely ignore that thread unless you have read it all carefully. It will handle it. 40Mbps is the incoming for E1, your cameras on H264+ with substreams are probably 7Mbps x 4 = 28Mbps. So you can increase maximum if you want to but H264+ doesn't really work like that. Run them on H264 at 9Mbps each and you will just max it out.

You already have the machine so don't worry about it, connect it up and see. If you need help tweaking it then we are here.

Last edited by a moderator:

dave7108

n3wb
Reaction score
it's still really grainy, on blueiris it was amazing, im a bit gutted over getting this nvr now. Any tips please

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is it possible that during installing with the NVR your settings on the cameras changed? Can you post screenshots of graininess and camera settings?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
open the camera directly with a browser, change between main steam and sub-stream.. note difference in quality, the lower resolution stream is used for grid displays (more than one 1080p stream is going to be shrunk, it helps with load when you have a bunch of cameras displaying at once) and for mobile/remote clients, you'll never get 4MP cameras streaming over a mobile network, but you can get a low resolution substream to display well if configured correctly..

typically you record the mainstream and view the substream, unless your specifically displaying the main stream at full glory.

they have separate quality settings, the main steam will look great but you can detune the substream so it looks like junk.. so determine which stream your viewing and then make sure your adjusting the settings for that stream or you wont see any changes.

dave7108

n3wb
Reaction score
cameras are set to main stream. here is pic. Image a lot better in day than at night, night very noisy.20160522_010444.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats environmental, all the IR is causing a hotspot.. its compensating to prevent overexposure and the rest of the image gets grainy.

to me it looks like the FOV needs to be adjusted so that IR hotspot is focused in-between the cars.. as thats where your really going to need it, and the image should adjust better at night.

those plates are not helping anything either, wide angles on driveways suck.. really you have a thin corridor with perfect chance to get a good ID shot at night, yet everyone opts for wide view of mostly hood/windshield/reflectors.. you would be better served with an 8mm i think.

dave7108

n3wb
Reaction score
when a car drives past at night and is moving slowly past the house its quite blocky and pixilated. Im now thinking that this NVR is not up to the job and hasnt the power to process 4mp?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nvr just has to save it, that usually means it missed an iframe.. you could be having a bottleneck, in the nvr, network, or camera..

play with quality settings and see if it gets better worse.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1) It's not the NVR but it doesn't matter how many times people tell you on here you're going to ignore that. As nayr says, the NVR just saves it, doesn't require amazing amounts of processing power and no-one else has this issue.
2) Wrong camera for that location, unless there is a ceiling I would angle it up so you can't see the numberplate
3) If you want tips or help then we need more details (and it helps if you are willing to listen to said advice). Keep saying "I'm unhappy" or "it's blocky" with no details isn't helping you help us fix your issue. Post screenshots of the camera settings! And post Blue Iris comparison.
4) If you're not happy with our advice then send it back and pay for a professional installer to come back with the exact same NVR.