• Active Deterrence Camera

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Deterrence Camera

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

TDC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm about to begin a DIY project installing several POE cameras and am hoping for some clarity.

1. Is there any difference between CAT 5e and CAT 6. I originally intended to install CAT 6 but am now wondering if it's worth the extra cost if there is no added benefit.

2. I have several floodlights under the eaves of my house - where is the best placement for the cameras?

3. I'm considering installing turret cameras and it seems that most people aren't using active deterrence cameras. Is there any specific reason why they might not be recommended? To me, it seems that active deterrence would be preferred since alerting a vandal of the cameras might prevent any damage or criminal activity rather than just recording it. What am I missing?

Thanks for any responses - they are definitely appreciated.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Given that even a 4K/8MP camera doesn't even come close to using 100Mbps, CAT5e is fine.

Cameras should not be mounted near floodlights as a rule of thumb. Additionally, the camera will be momentarily "blinded" when those lights come on in the middle of the night.

My take on "active deterrence" cameras is that it is a joke and marketing ploy. Most miscreants will not be deterred by a light coming on, a flashing red and blue light, or even a siren or other sound (unless it's painfully loud which might not work well with neighbors). There have been videos posted showing this behavior when "active deterrence" cameras are in use and have been triggered.

Be sure to have a look in the WiKi, in the blue bar at the top of the page. There is lots of good advice and information covering all aspects of installing a video surveillance system. Remember, alarms are security systems, cameras are a surveillance system and never the twain shall meet, at least not reliably. Don't chase megapixels, chase sensor size for good night performance. The current winners are the Dahua 5442 series and the Hikvision Darkfighter series, both equipped with 1/1.8" sensors in a 2K/4MP video format.

TDC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Given that even a 4K/8MP camera doesn't even come close to using 100Mbps, CAT5e is fine.

Cameras should not be mounted near floodlights as a rule of thumb. Additionally, the camera will be momentarily "blinded" when those lights come on in the middle of the night.

My take on "active deterrence" cameras is that it is a joke and marketing ploy. Most miscreants will not be deterred by a light coming on, a flashing red and blue light, or even a siren or other sound (unless it's painfully loud which might not work well with neighbors). There have been videos posted showing this behavior when "active deterrence" cameras are in use and have been triggered.

Be sure to have a look in the WiKi, in the blue bar at the top of the page. There is lots of good advice and information covering all aspects of installing a video surveillance system. Remember, alarms are security systems, cameras are a surveillance system and never the twain shall meet, at least not reliably. Don't chase megapixels, chase sensor size for good night performance. The current winners are the Dahua 5442 series and the Hikvision Darkfighter series, both equipped with 1/1.8" sensors in a 2K/4MP video format.
Thanks for your response!

I'm glad to hear CAT5e will work fine.

I initially decided on Dahua 3241 cameras since it's varifocal instead of the Dahua 5442 cameras. Do you mind briefly summarizing benefits of the 5442 over the 3241?

I have learned a lot from the Wiki notes you mentioned and am very fortunate to have it as a resource. This forum is extremely helpful.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Aside from the price differences, with the 5442 being more expensive, the 5442 uses a 1/1.8" sensor. It has excellent low light performance as a result. I have a few cameras that use the same sensor as the 3241 and they do provide excellent video, but can't compete in low light conditions. I am not saying that the 5442 will see color in totally dark conditions, but it will see color in far lower light conditions than the 3241. There is a varifocal version of the 5442 as well. I guess it comes down to your budget. Both are excellent performers in their respective classes, but the 5442 has a substantial advantage.

Reaction score
I'm about to begin a DIY project installing several POE cameras and am hoping for some clarity.

1. Is there any difference between CAT 5e and CAT 6. I originally intended to install CAT 6 but am now wondering if it's worth the extra cost if there is no added benefit.

2. I have several floodlights under the eaves of my house - where is the best placement for the cameras?

3. I'm considering installing turret cameras and it seems that most people aren't using active deterrence cameras. Is there any specific reason why they might not be recommended? To me, it seems that active deterrence would be preferred since alerting a vandal of the cameras might prevent any damage or criminal activity rather than just recording it. What am I missing?

Thanks for any responses - they are definitely appreciated.
I would probably run cat 6 if I were you. Here's why: A box of solid copper 1000 foot cat 6 cable only costs about 120 bucks. You probably save 30 bucks over similar quality cat5e solid copper and maybe 70 bucks on the cheapest, CCA cat5e cable. The previous guy is correct, the bandwidth on cat5e will be plenty for each camera but how much trouble is it to do wiring in your house? If you're going to do a good job, drill holes in your house, use cable holders to make it look neat and be mounted properly, use POE cameras now or potentially upgrade down the line, Cat6 solid copper is a vastly superior quality cable. Not only does it have 10x the bandwidth (which, granted, you said you don't need right now), but it has tighter twists so it has better interference resistance. Are you going over any electrical wires? It might make a difference. And if you're pushing POE a far distance, the CCA (copper clad aluminum aka cheap stuff) has more resistance than pure copper. Will that make a noticeable difference in your cameras? Probably not but maybe. And if you upgrade later, the difference will probably only grow.

In the IT field, we typically pay contractors ~$200 per drop. So if you're going to run 6 drops for 6 cameras, a contractor might charge you $1000-1200 bucks. Do you really want cable that has a higher resistance, 1/10th the bandwidth (for future proofing), potentially more interference, etc, to save 5%? Even if you're doing it yourself for free, that's a ton of effort. It's kinda like painting your house with cheap paint. A company will paint your house for $3,000. Do you want them to use paint that has half the life span so you can save 20 bucks a can x 6? I don't... that's penny wise pound foolish.

If you are just doing a camera or two, and it's a short run, and you aren't doing POE and it's an easy access area, sure, run cat5e. No problem. But if you are going to spend a full day or weekend doing a nice install job, mounting everything, etc. why use low grade stuff?

Reaction score
Cat5e is plenty good enough. Just make sure it is solid copper. Cat6 is much stiffer and harder to terminate. I have 18 POE cams all run on Cat5e with five more to be installed when the temps get lower, all on solid copper Cat5e. I terminate all of my own connections. Never had any issues. Now if you were running ethernet cables within your home for IT networking connections, like a home plex server or a commercial mail server or the like, then the Cat6 stuff would be worth it.

Don't forget the Cliff Notes, read them.

Don't buy all of your cams at once in the beginning. Make a plan and get that one varifocal cam, set up a test rig as described in the Cliff Notes, and test your cam plan.

TDC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score