DIY - New home video surveillance system

quiet.tea

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is quite a switch you have there. You won't have any problems adding a bunch of cameras to it with 370W of available PoE power!

Hakapik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is quite a switch you have there. You won't have any problems adding a bunch of cameras to it with 370W of available PoE power!
yes, and not only that. I'll need to add new serial to Ethernet converters to interface with HVAC, heat pumps, and PV inverters so that I can connect them to Home Assistant via Modbus, At least three more access points and additional PoE devices .
Even though I have already added a multitude of sensors and relays via Zigbee and Wi-Fi protocols,
with home automation you can fill a 48-port switch very quickly!

Hakapik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, It's been a while since I last reached out, I've been quite busy and the continuous rainy days certainly haven't helped to proceed with the installation.
Anyway, I managed to make some progress:
I pulled four cables (by myself) from the basement to the second-floor terrace , it was quite a job
also, because I had to drill a 50mm diameter hole through 55cm of concrete to be able to pass the corrugated conduit outside and to demolish a few bricks as well .
IMG_20240224_204857.jpgIMG_20240224_204955.jpg
In the end, I used double-insulated direct burial cables, which aren't exactly thin :p
Once I reached the exterior wall, I installed a junction box from which four cables directly run inside spiraled conduits to the cameras, ensuring weatherproof sealing.
IMG_20240225_035240.jpgIMG_20240225_034936.jpg
Afterwards, as advised extensively across forums, I insulated all camera interfaces with silicone grease and self-amalgamating insulating tape.
Sure, RJ45 plugs CAT7 can be quite a challenge to crimp, especially if they're not pass-through ones.
IMG_20240226_222142.jpg
And then I proceeded with fixing the junction boxes and the cameras in place. I did the job at half past one in the night, hanging on the terrace railing like a monkey. The neighbors must have thought I wasn't quite sane.
It wasn't easy to install them, and the ingenious Dahua junction system is a kick in the balls.
IMG_20240225_193636.jpg
I kept 2 meters of extra cable so that I could move everything from the roof beam to under the terrace.
But in the end, I made it, and all in all, it turned out to be a clean job.
IMG_20240226_220352.jpg
As for the camera on the south facade, for the time being, I improvised with a flying cable and a self-built wooden support that I fixed with wire under the window on the inside wall.
IMG_20240229_082720.jpgIMG_20240229_004447.jpg
The only camera I managed to install in the garden is a B54IT-Z4E-S3 temporarily mounted on one of the concrete poles that mark the garden boundary. I dug the trench to bury the corrugated cable, and when I have time, I will install an electrical manhole, a galvanized steel pole, and probably even a small lamppost on top.
IMG_20240303_170335.jpg
I have some thoughts on the B54IT-Z4E-S3. First of all, I have to admit that I didn't take into account the vertical focal aperture, which is really limiting in this model.
To ensure decent coverage of the south garden, in horizontal mode, there would have been an almost 8-meter blind spot from the house to the lawn.
IMG_20240227_083141.jpg
I'm still playing around and trying, hoping that the situation will improve by lowering them
I also purchased the BI license and started exploring a bit. I immediately noticed that by activating the AI features, 8GB of RAM were not sufficient, so I got a 32GB kit.
I'll need to get a nice big hard drive, you know, because by my calculations, it's about 1 TB per day.
Unfortunately, hard drives are ridiculously expensive right now
I'll wait for spring and for the plants to start filling up with leaves, so I can have a clearer idea of the spaces. In the meantime, I have a lot of things to learn about BI, AI, and implementing notifications

Attachments

Last edited: