DMSS and DMSSHD on Ipad on iphone notifications

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @Holbs. No I am not using P2P. My router blocks all inbound connections to my NVR and cameras. I only allow outbound for the following ports: 2195, 2197, 5223, (first 3 for Apple), 587, 443, 8888. I also allow outbound to the Apple network 17.0.0.0/8. I have P2P disabled in NVR and all cameras.

DMSS has been working well. Except, last fortnight notifications stopped from my NVR after I updated to the latest DMSS on my iPhone, but I was able to set up notifications on each camera and they came through, which was odd, I thought. Then on Sunday afternoon (yesterday), the NVR notifications started working again and I have turned off the notifications for the cameras. I am now getting the NVR notifications once again which allows me to click on the notifications and view the clip. I have to use VPN to view the clip when I am on cellular.
Your notifications are they flooding like showing every couple seconds for the same event? It is doing that to me now. I can get like 100 notifications on my phone in short period of time.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
hmm. Maybe I misunderstood how this VTO does things. I thought I could 100% lock down the VTO subnet (which is same subnet of all my 20+ Dahua cameras) from the internet in or out and have the VTO/DMSS app still function only locally, even on different subnets or using VPN.
Kinda like saying I want my Dahua camera to notify Blue Iris on an alert. All done locally within my LAN. No internet required. But for VTO/DMSS purposes, this is not so.
Push Notifications only can work if the device has contact to apple push server / google firebase cloud messaging
If your Blueiris system can send you something without contacting google/apple, then its no real push notifications... the app runs in background and stays connected to the server... this will drain alot of battery...

dmss is special, because dahua fucked it up.
some people only get push notifications if they use accountmode and/or p2p cloud .....
this was discussed here earlier. all people who say "i have no problems" are mostly using p2pcloud ...
dahua isnt able to fix dmss for an unknown reason.
it is still impossible to search for ivs/smd events via app on sdcard/nvr ... and this bug is since ever

port 8888 like @awonson said doesnt look like a apple/google server... maybe they use their own server/aws service now...

Last edited:

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
port 8888 like @awonson said doesnt look like a apple/google server... maybe they use their own server/aws service now...
@user8963, port 8888 allows the traffic out to an AWS server. (ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com). Had to open port 8888 earlier this year when they switched over to AWS.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
@user8963, port 8888 allows the traffic out to an AWS server. (ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com). Had to open port 8888 earlier this year when they switched over to AWS.
thats maybe the reason for all the pain with push notifications on dahua/hik devices...

many cell networks have their own firewall which block all this shit away from the connected devices...

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So starting on October 18th notifications stopped coming to the DMSS app again. Rebooted everything, deleted all the tripwires and added again. Deleted phone apps and reinstalled. It did start coming through again but not all alerts though and I do see those events being recorded as smart events but just not pushed to my phone. Checked my firewall and I do see activity on port 2195 and 8888 but not as many packets as before. I used to get like 5 alerts for 1 tripwire event flooding like crazy and now its like too quiet no alerts. :rolleyes: Dahua keep updating something or Apple? Anyone else notice any change?

firewall.JPG

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The biggest issue I've found with DMSS on iOS and Push Notifications, is the Push Notification will come in, but unless you select the notification from your Notification Center on the iOS device, it doesn't actually show up in the app under "Messages". So that means if you just go to check for Notifications in the app under "Messages", you won't ever see any.

Android it works perfectly fine, but iPhone it doesn't work at all it seems. The solution is to setup an account, and then all notifications are saved to the account, and DMSS just pulls notifications from the account, but I don't like that solution.

Anyone find another solution to getting Notifications to save in the "Messages" center on an iOS device?

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The biggest issue I've found with DMSS on iOS and Push Notifications, is the Push Notification will come in, but unless you select the notification from your Notification Center on the iOS device, it doesn't actually show up in the app under "Messages". So that means if you just go to check for Notifications in the app under "Messages", you won't ever see any.

Android it works perfectly fine, but iPhone it doesn't work at all it seems. The solution is to setup an account, and then all notifications are saved to the account, and DMSS just pulls notifications from the account, but I don't like that solution.

Anyone find another solution to getting Notifications to save in the "Messages" center on an iOS device?
I have that same issue with notifications on iPads.

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Upgraded iPhone DMSS on iOS to version 1.95.001 6 days ago and since then no more push notifications at all to the phone. Have ports ports 2195, 2197, 443, 5223, 8888 open on firewall. There is only activity on 8888 and 2195. Tried the same old delete IVS rules, reset cameras to default, rebooted everything no difference. Every upgrade kills push alerts.

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@civic17 , I have the same version of DMSS on iOS and push notifiations stopped for about a day following the app update. Notifications then started working and have continued to do so.

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So today I decided to upgrade my IOS iDMSS Plus to the newest version 4.95000.000 to see what happens. I did not want to upgrade this since I risk bricking this application as well. Suddenly alerts are coming in but going to DMSS only. I still prefer opening iDMSS Plus for live viewing the cameras because it opens and loads the video instantly. Now it's just annoying it has a line at top that says please download the latest DMSS to enjoy it and prompts me every time I open it.

I'll never understand how this works and why upgrading IDMSS will cause DMSS alerts to come in. Why can't everything just work with every upgrade? :facepalm:

Fiddelm3742

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I have this exact same problem and have been working with empire Andy since July and we have yet to have any success in getting messages to actually appear. Going through the timeline is not a great option either as it constantly flips back to the beginning of the day after watching a clip or trying to scan forward or backwards. You haven't had any luck yet have you?

Slice

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem at the moment, has there been any news EMPIRETECANDY ?
I tried both apps, IDMSS plus and GDMS on my new iphone.... sadly none of them works properly on IOS.
For me gdmss plus worked perfectly on android, live view, playback, notifications...
I also use p2p for connecting.

Here is a link to my post:

Fiddelm3742

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have not heard back from him in a few weeks regarding these issues. I too have no issues on the Android app, but iOS fails to add the notification/push videos to the messages section. Very disappointed and the person I set these up for is not happy either since they don't have a good way to view the videos since they are iphone users.

Slice

n3wb
Reaction score
I have not heard back from him in a few weeks regarding these issues. I too have no issues on the Android app, but iOS fails to add the notification/push videos to the messages section. Very disappointed and the person I set these up for is not happy either since they don't have a good way to view the videos since they are iphone users.
Yeah, you don't get any notification at all right? Like i get totally nothing.. (phone notification and in app message)
Also is that person using IDMSS plus or DMSS? (iphone)

Last edited:

Fiddelm3742

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, you don't get any notification at all right? Like i get totally nothing.. (phone notification and in app message)
Also is that person using IDMSS plus or DMSS? (iphone)
I tried both of the iphone apps. Push notifications will show up from the app IF you use a cloud account. So I can get push notifications, however those notifications do not add the video clips to the messages section. So if you swipe them away instead of opening ever one of them one by one the videos don't get added. And the only way to view the videos is via the timeline feature which is waaay too buggy to use reliably as after watch a video or trying to find a spot in one the whole thing resets to the beginning of the day. If I open every push notification them the video will be added to the messages section.

Slice

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried both of the iphone apps. Push notifications will show up from the app IF you use a cloud account. So I can get push notifications, however those notifications do not add the video clips to the messages section. So if you swipe them away instead of opening ever one of them one by one the videos don't get added. And the only way to view the videos is via the timeline feature which is waaay too buggy to use reliably as after watch a video or trying to find a spot in one the whole thing resets to the beginning of the day. If I open every push notification them the video will be added to the messages section.
Hmm okay, i have noticed there is a difference between accounts on IDMSS plus and GDMS, (this isn't the same cloud account i've noticed)

It's so confusing.... wish there would just be 1 app that works.

blueyes

n3wb
Reaction score
I've had no issues with notifications from DMSS on my iPhone until recently. I still receive the notification (on tripwire) but for the previous event, not the current.

I've configured from the NVR to also receive emails, so I get these correctly and timely so I feel it's not at the NVR end but rather something with the app or in iOS causing this.

There are known broader issues with notifications in iOS14 (not sure if this is not resolved in iOS15) but my issue doesn't seem linked to this, as I am still receiving them - just delayed.

I updated to the latest app version from a few days ago (v 1.96.001) but it hasn't changed anything (also I think the interface changes in this version are not great, so I wouldn't update unless you need to).

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IMHO the android app is next to perfect.

The iOS app seems to be a horribly flakey.

The current issue I'm facing is on Android when I view a notification from the messages section, it shows the 10 seconds prior to the event happening, then the event, then at the end it shows however long you selected as the pushed video delay in settings.

On iOS it seems to skip that 10 seconds leading up to the event, and instead only starts playing the recording immediately when the event started.

Anyone else having this issue?