DMSS android app recorded playback issues.

1.21 jiggawatts!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
anyone having playback (playback of recording) issues with the DMSS android app? (live playback is fine)

when i first install the app, the playback works ok for a bit then it gets screwy when i try to use it later on after using it a couple of times. when i click on a camera, click on playback symbol, the percentage loads up to the 90s and gets stuck.

i've tried clearing cache, clearing data, reinstalling the app, etc. tried with hard decoding on and off. i'm using a galaxy s20 the NVR is a 4108-8p-4ks2

upload speeds are plenty. happens over wan and lan, on wifi and data on the phone. happens on my cameras and my friends cameras.

this issue doesn't happen on DMSS HD but that is more of an app for a pad. on gDMSS, playback never worked.

---update---

it seems like if you change the NR level in the settings in the app, it breaks the app and it won't function normally even if you put the NR setting back to 5, how it originally was when the app was installed. everything seems to work fine until this setting is changed.

Last edited:

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am having this issue.

I had the same issue setting up a clients phone the other day for the first time.

Multiple reviews on the app store indicate the same issue.

My solution was to roll the app back to 1.95.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually looks like they have fixed playback on Android now thankfully.

icecoffee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have this issue and have been using this to fix it.

When at home and on WIFI, go to Settings > Connections > More connection settings > Private DNS. Tick on Private DNS provider hostname. Type dns.google in the box below.

When not on home WIFI, switch Private DNS to Off.

Not convenient solution but it works for now. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have this issue and have been using this to fix it.

When at home and on WIFI, go to Settings > Connections > More connection settings > Private DNS. Tick on Private DNS provider hostname. Type dns.google in the box below.

When not on home WIFI, switch Private DNS to Off.

Not convenient solution but it works for now. Hopefully they fix it soon.
I have been using this for users who are with Telstra and have Android phones, works great!

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
did they release an update?

i'm on version 1.96.002 build date 2021.11.25

i does seem to work properly at the moment.
Well they broke it, I mean really broke it with 1.96.001 where it had permission errors on playback, then they fixed it with 1.96.002 but a few days later playback would just hang. Seems to have bee resolved in the last 24 hours though.

I'd say the latest "outage" was more on the server side.

1.21 jiggawatts!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i really wish they just kept updating gDMSS plus. the only thing i found wrong with that app was the playback didn't work. i find the ptz on DMSS is slow to respond and some of the buttons don't respond to your finger press on the screen and you have to hit them a few times.

i also really wish they would keep noise reduction off on the app by default. i was racking my brains one day trying to figure out why the sound was crappy.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i really wish they just kept updating gDMSS plus. the only thing i found wrong with that app was the playback didn't work. i find the ptz on DMSS is slow to respond and some of the buttons don't respond to your finger press on the screen and you have to hit them a few times.

i also really wish they would keep noise reduction off on the app by default. i was racking my brains one day trying to figure out why the sound was crappy.
I though NR was done on the camera. Wasn't even aware of this setting tbh

1.21 jiggawatts!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so far, when i playback my cams or cams from a friends house in another city over my wifi here, the app works properly. if i use the cellular data and not wifi, playback stutters. it's strange because my data speeds are faster than my home internet speeds. my cellular data speed is 114Mb down, 8.5Mb up, 16ms ping and 3ms jitter.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so far, when i playback my cams or cams from a friends house in another city over my wifi here, the app works properly. if i use the cellular data and not wifi, playback stutters. it's strange because my data speeds are faster than my home internet speeds. my cellular data speed is 114Mb down, 8.5Mb up, 16ms ping and 3ms jitter.
Have you tried changing the DNS settings as above?

wasabi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i noticed this issue too when its linked using the NVR's serial number with DMSS, its a common issue yet to be resolved.

1.21 jiggawatts!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
now with the latest version of the app, when i try to record video in the app, it only saves about one and a half minutes worth, even if i have it recording for five minutes.

sirnom

n3wb
Reaction score
it seems like if you change the NR level in the settings in the app, it breaks the app and it won't function normally even if you put the NR setting back to 5, how it originally was when the app was installed. everything seems to work fine until this setting is changed.
You end up finding a fix for this? As I also changed NR and now no playback (dmss version: 1.99.624)