dmz mode in modem

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an att uverse modem/router (3801hgv) and am running an asus rt-ac68u behind it. I am running openVPN on the assus. the only way I have found to get these two to work together is to have the att modem put the asus router into DMZplus mode. I was wondering if this defeats the purpose of even using a vpn or if its safe to put the asus router in dmzplus mode on the att modem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an att uverse modem/router (3801hgv) and am running an asus rt-ac68u behind it. I am running openVPN on the assus. the only way I have found to get these two to work together is to have the att modem put the asus router into DMZplus mode. I was wondering if this defeats the purpose of even using a vpn or if its safe to put the asus router in dmzplus mode on the att modem.
You have something setup incorrectly.

Last edited:

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 3801 is the only one in bridge mode, or as close as it will get which is router behind router with dmzplus enabled. I just wanted to know if this was the proper way to get them working together.

I had the camera working initially before I decided to do a vpn and buy the Asus router but decided it was an unsafe way to set everything up after reading. I've put a few 8 hour nights into getting everything to work with a vpn but it's getting very frustrating.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The 3801 is the only one in bridge mode, or as close as it will get which is router behind router with dmzplus enabled. I just wanted to know if this was the proper way to get them working together.

I had the camera working initially before I decided to do a vpn and buy the Asus router but decided it was an unsafe way to set everything up after reading. I've put a few 8 hour nights into getting everything to work with a vpn but it's getting very frustrating.
hire someone to do it properly for you for 75bux if you dont want to take the time.

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did a factory reset on both routers and went through the setup procedure to bridge them.
I have to let the 3801 put the asus in dmzplus mode. the lan ip address of the asus is 192.168.2.xx and I am unable to see my camera.
if I change this address to 192.168.1.xx I can see my camera but have no internet access and am unable to access my 3801 router from my browser. any ideas whats happening?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If your camera IPs are 192.168.1.x then your Asus has to be configured with IP address of 192.168.1.x (probably 192.168.1.1).

When you put the 3801 in bridge mode, did you also set up the Supplementary Network stuff using the 192.168.1.1 address of the Asus?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
as Whoaru99 indicates, since the cameras will be using the asus router as your att router will only be used to supply the internet, the asus subnet needs to match the cameras. So if the cameras are at 192.168.1.X then the asus needs to be at 192.168.1.1. So you either need to change the ips of the cameras OR simply set the ATT to 192.168.2.1 and the new asus to 192.168.1.1.
U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also to clarify your initial question, it is safe to put the asus router in the dmzplus of the att, as the asus will be doing all the firewall work. Its just that you must not put any of your devices in dmz mode on the asus.

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am going to have to research the supplementary network things for the Asus as I did not, to my knowledge, set this up.
I will have to research how to change the adresses of the 3801 some more, I am not sure how to change the IP out of the 192.168.1.xx range on this without causing issues.
And thankyou fenderman, you have alleviated my concern of doing this all for nothing if the att cant be in dmzplus!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to have to research the supplementary network things for the Asus as I did not, to my knowledge, set this up.
I will have to research how to change the adresses of the 3801 some more, I am not sure how to change the IP out of the 192.168.1.xx range on this without causing issues.
And thankyou fenderman, you have alleviated my concern of doing this all for nothing if the att cant be in dmzplus!
You should be able to simply change the router address in the settings and the dhcp address pool will automatically change. Alternatively, leave everything as is and simply change the ip's of the cameras.

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I do get this working, I remember reading something about forwarding port 1194 for the vpn. Would this be on the Asus and would it be safe to do if so?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I do get this working, I remember reading something about forwarding port 1194 for the vpn. Would this be on the Asus and would it be safe to do if so?
if the asus is in the dmz, you should not need to port forward anything.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the modem (or whatever it's called in this case) is set up to bridge mode then there should be no point to even use the DMZ. Again, not familiar with that type of device, but that it offers a DMZ when it should be set up as bridge suggests maybe it's not actually configured properly for bridge mode.

DMZ is to facilitate a path around the firewall and some other router functions. In bridge mode all that should be turned off anyway, I'd think, if it's set up right. Might be that trying to use the DMZ function is actually what's gumming up the works.

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From my understanding, the att modem/router doesn't offer a true bridge mode but has a router behind router setting and if you turn this on and put it in dmzplus mode along with turning off all of the security on it, you are basically in bridge mode.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From my understanding, the att modem/router doesn't offer a true bridge mode but has a router behind router setting and if you turn this on and put it in dmzplus mode along with turning off all of the security on it, you are basically in bridge mode.
Well, not having one of those then I can't speak from direct experience. But, the manual for it sure seems to indicate it is capable of being put into bridge mode.

I hate to be so blunt, so a bit of apology in advance, but have you tried doing something like a reset defaults (if there is such a thing) then set it up for bridged mode per the manual? Or, are you just sorta hunting and pecking with tidbits you read here and there?

http://www.danwilsonsoftware.com/dl/3801HGV.Manual.pdf

Last edited:

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What I did was look online about how to put this router/modem into bridge mode and everything said to do it the way I described in my previous posts.
I looked at the manual and it shows that it does actually have a bridge mode and it is done a completely different way. I never thought to download a manual for it as I didn't think that would be something that AT&T would want you to be able to do.
I finally got everything working today. Should I scrap everything I have done and do it the way the manual states? I dont want to run into problems down the road.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you know what you did to make it work and can easily go back, I'm all for trying it the "right" way. That I say because sometimes you can make things work but not necessarily the right/best way. OTOH, there is something to be said for "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Myself I would be adventuresome if I thought I could at least get back to how it's working now if the "right" way didn't pan out.