Do HD analog cameras suffice, or should I go ip?

Reaction score
There is a 4 camera night owl system at Costco for $300. The way I understand it is it's HD analog as opposed to the digital ip cams. On the box, it lists that it's 2mp equivalent. 4 cams should cover my whole property. I'm mainly worried about night vision. Obviously it's not going to do as well as an ip 4mp camera, but if I have it affixed on motorcycles 20 feet away do you think it'll do ok? The biggest reason I like it is because it's all self contained and plug and play. I wouldn't mind buying some hikvision cameras, Poe switch and an NVR,but it's the network side of things I'm not entirely sure about. Setting up the router to accommodate the ip system. Not only that, but my network is taxed pretty hard as is. What would you guys suggest? If there is a hikvision setup that's pretty close to plug and play I could go that route. Thanks.

Attachments

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's all about budget. If you really haven't got the cash decent 1080p AHD gives a very good image. Decent is the key word, most won't.

Night-Owl is cheap AHD, it's not real-time and the quality isn't the best. I think for $300 you can do better. If you can stretch to $500 then get a decent IP system from Costco, I don't know the brands but others do.

Reaction score
There's a lorex 8 cam system at Costco for $499. I'm pretty sure it's analog as well though. The only ip cams I've seen at Costco were the $2000 16 camera systems. Nothing under a grand. I'm happy to go up to $800 maybe more, but would like as close to plug and play as possible. Need one soon. Someone's been trying to steal my motorcycles. If an ip system saves me even one insurance deductible, it'll pay for itself.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Post a link. One of the admin's here fenderman knows about Costco brands.

You're logic is sound, spend around $800 and get a decent system. Search for Costco on this forum and you'll find some recommended systems.

Reaction score
Post a link. One of the admin's here fenderman knows about Costco brands.

You're logic is sound, spend around $800 and get a decent system. Search for Costco on this forum and you'll find some recommended systems.
http://m.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD,-8-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100218592.html

That might be the same one we have in the warehouse. Not 100% though. That lists the cameras in megapixels, but I believe they're still analog.

Reaction score
Also want to add, I'm open to suggestions for a complete ip system. What am I looking for? I know I'll need an NVR, 4 Poe cameras and a Poe switch. Is that really all there is to setting up a system? Doesn't seem too bad. I'm leaning towards hikvision since many on this forum have good praises for them. However, they offer so many models...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also want to add, I'm open to suggestions for a complete ip system. What am I looking for? I know I'll need an NVR, 4 Poe cameras and a Poe switch. Is that really all there is to setting up a system? Doesn't seem too bad. I'm leaning towards hikvision since many on this forum have good praises for them. However, they offer so many models...
This is a hikvision made system by laview. Its sold out now though..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid=8941631&SID=f257b7024ed911e6ad6a727779a2c2990INT&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16881183059&cm_sp=

Dont run analog in a new install.
This is a dahua based system. http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-2TB-HDD,-6-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100290512.html
Costco offers lifetime returns.

Reaction score
Wow, that hikvision one is super affordable. I think I only need two cameras though. It's a small place and all our stuff is either in the front or back. I may just buy an NVR and grab the cameras separate. I see Costco usually offers two packs on cameras. I think that may be the ticket. Even if i buy single cams. 2@ ~$120 a piece isn't too bad. NVRs are usually under $200 and have all the software included. Thank you. Can anyone suggest the best hikvision single camera for under $150?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, that hikvision one is super affordable. I think I only need two cameras though. It's a small place and all our stuff is either in the front or back. I may just buy an NVR and grab the cameras separate. I see Costco usually offers two packs on cameras. I think that may be the ticket. Even if i buy single cams. 2@ ~$120 a piece isn't too bad. NVRs are usually under $200 and have all the software included. Thank you. Can anyone suggest the best hikvision single camera for under $150?
Look at the 2 or 4mp turret style camera...turret is the optimal design...
If you want a super custom NVR setup then consider blue iris on a 200 dollar pc (intel haswell based i3 will be more than enough for two cameras)...

Reaction score
Look at the 2 or 4mp turret style camera...turret is the optimal design...
If you want a super custom NVR setup then consider blue iris on a 200 dollar pc (intel haswell based i3 will be more than enough for two cameras)...
Thank you. Any specific model numbers? I looked at the quick product guide and they have like 40 different cameras and no prices on the product guide

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. Any specific model numbers? I looked at the quick product guide and they have like 40 different cameras and no prices on the product guide
Search the forum for turret..there are many threads that discuss them.

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jesseallen

n3wb
Reaction score
At $800, you can definitely get a good IP cam setup. While HD analog cameras are decent, IP are turning into quite the standard for security setup. And when you're investing that much money, you'll definitely won't want to miss out on the additional functionalities that come with IP cameras. Maybe you can throw NVR in the mix as well. The alternate brands that you can go for are Honeywell or Hikvision.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree, go IP if you can afford it. I've gone through a few analog systems and with what I spent, I could've run the cat5 and been done with it. I blame this forum for not finding me and telling me. LOL. Great wealth of knowledge around here. On a side note, do you need the receipt to return to costco? I have an old system that quit working, didn't know they had lifetime returns.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Technically, CCTV stuff is covered under their 2 year warranty. If you complain hard enough to the right folks they WILL take just about anything back. Abuse their return policy badly enough and I've heard they suspend your membership though. They save purchase records under your membership in the computer so they should be able to find it. I've heard more than a couple of stories about people buying a snowblower every November and returning them every April to make me feel sorry for retailers nowadays. One guy a friend of mine knows returns his GPS for a new one every time the battery dies instead of replacing the batteries. Idjits.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I ordered a single hikvision 2342 4mp and a hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P-2TB NVR and a long Poe cable. I'm going to start with one cam to watch my motorcycles and buy more as I go. Hopefully the NVR and cam pair well. Oh, and @Kawboy12R I actually work at Costco and have seen the abuse first hand. People have the audacity to buy a live Christmas tree in November and return it in January. Some day, Costco will tighten up their return policy and everyone will suffer because a few people abused it.

Last edited by a moderator: