Do I NEED a camera in this location?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I have seen the same :stutter" issue on a neighbors BI system on Windows 11. We share the same setting but my Win 10 exports fine.
It's Windows 10, and I haven't noticed it with any other clips I have exported.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I assume you are recording BVR direct to disc and haven't changed any of the default settings for export or saving files?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Uncheck the re-encode video and see if it exports out correctly.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Uncheck the re-encode video and see if it exports out correctly.
I was thinking the same thing. I unchecked and re-ran the clip and it is smooth. I ran an update earlier, I wonder if it checked that box during the update.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
That's quite a colour cast on the driveway but it looks as if it's coming from lights to the left. It looks as if you have something very blue and something red to the left there. Stained glass in a door? Bright light shinging through curtains? Coloured lights? Fluroescent or halogen lights?

Changing the bulbs there to white light might help the driveway or preventing light escape through coloured galss or thin curtains might do the trick. You need to establish the source. Alternatively if beyond your control, you could try puitting a coach style light that's on alnight or a sensor light to the let of your garage door (looking outwards) with a daylight bulb in it just to cast some white light there. I don't think it need be anything massive as this camera does quite well with low light. Try an 8w, 1024 Lumen LED bulb to start with and go from there. It might just negate the cast and give you that little extra brightness as well. A greener alternative would be smnall led flood on a sensor. Just be aware the cast will still be there when the light is inactive.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
That's quite a colour cast on the driveway but it looks as if it's coming from lights to the left. It looks as if you have something very blue and something red to the left there. Stained glass in a door? Bright light shinging through curtains? Coloured lights? Fluroescent or halogen lights?

Changing the bulbs there to white light might help the driveway or preventing light escape through coloured galss or thin curtains might do the trick. You need to establish the source. Alternatively if beyond your control, you could try puitting a coach style light that's on alnight or a sensor light to the let of your garage door (looking outwards) with a daylight bulb in it just to cast some white light there. I don't think it need be anything massive as this camera does quite well with low light. Try an 8w, 1024 Lumen LED bulb to start with and go from there. It might just negate the cast and give you that little extra brightness as well. A greener alternative would be smnall led flood on a sensor. Just be aware the cast will still be there when the light is inactive.
Yes, and that is why I said this is probably not the best time to form an opinion for this camera; it's basically the worst time for additional lighting. There are several houses on the street that change their garage coach light bulbs from white to purple/orange for Halloween. Some of them leave them orange for Fall/Thanksgiving. The green/yellow you see are my front porch can lights. They are green/yellow/orange and the same with my garage coach lights. However, when my doorbell detects motion the can lights will increase in brightness and change to white (you can see the white light in the first video). My coach lights also change to white at midnight. I do also have 2 30w LED floods that cover my driveway and front yard that are tied into SmartThings. If it got to that point I could likely setup triggers or AI to have them come on when someone was detected in a certain region. Or I could have the coach lights change white similar to the can lights.

I know I am not really doing myself any favors with my lights not being white but if I can get the footage for this short time of the year usable then the rest of the year will be fine.

This is after the coach lights changed to white.

Driveway, South 2022-11-12 12.00.12.619 AM.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, and that is why I said this is probably not the best time to form an opinion for this camera; it's basically the worst time for additional lighting. There are several houses on the street that change their garage coach light bulbs from white to purple/orange for Halloween. Some of them leave them orange for Fall/Thanksgiving. The green/yellow you see are my front porch can lights. They are green/yellow/orange and the same with my garage coach lights. However, when my doorbell detects motion the can lights will increase in brightness and change to white (you can see the white light in the first video). My coach lights also change to white at midnight. I do also have 2 30w LED floods that cover my driveway and front yard that are tied into SmartThings. If it got to that point I could likely setup triggers or AI to have them come on when someone was detected in a certain region. Or I could have the coach lights change white similar to the can lights.

I know I am not really doing myself any favors with my lights not being white but if I can get the footage for this short time of the year usable then the rest of the year will be fine.

View attachment 145536
Definitely change your lights a bit to give a better image ..

with some of these larger sensor low light cameras you only need a small change to make a big difference on image capture ..

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely change your lights a bit to give a better image ..

with some of these larger low light cameras you only need a small change to make a big difference on image capture ..
With the snow we're getting this morning that's going to change everything again as well.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Snow makes for incredible night captures LOL. Especially the 4K because it absorbs all that reflective light at night!

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Snow makes for incredible night captures LOL. Especially the 4K because it absorbs all that reflective light at night!
Oh I am definitely looking forward to the help it will give, but it's definitely not going to help right now while I am trying to work on "normal" settings.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 145536
That's a massive improvement in both brightness and colour balance. That's the kind of picture I would have expected to see.

Maybe time to conside some alternative halloween decorations for next year.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a massive improvement in both brightness and colour balance. That's the kind of picture I would have expected to see.

Maybe time to conside some alternative halloween decorations for next year.
I did some remapping on my lights and have decided to change them up to give more usable light.

Previous logic, non-holiday:
Coach lights on at sunset to 5000K 100%
Porch cans on to 5000K 10%
- Change to 100% with Ring doorbell motion, back to 10% after 3 minutes of no motion.
Porch cans off at midnight, but still on with motion.

New logic, non-holiday:
Coach lights on at sunset to 5000K 100%
Porch cans on to 5000K 20%
- Change to 100% with Ring doorbell motion, back to 10% after 3 minutes of no motion.
Porch cans no longer turn off at midnight, but still on 100% with motion, turn off at sunrise.

This will likely also allow me to force color on my front porch and front door cameras.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally I say if you have it and passes the WAF, the more angles and coverage you have, the better. Having the same area covered by 2 or more cameras is good.
In reading some other threads I finally know what WAF stands for.

Unfortunately my wife passed away last year and our daughter doesn't really care what I do around the house. So it's pretty much my comfort level with being "that guy" in the neighborhood but, at some point, I just need to accept I am that guy and just not care.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. She had been diagnosed with lung cancer and it wasn't something we had expected this soon after her diagnosis. However I am glad I had upgraded the bulk of my cameras to 5442s and had audio. I was able to pull footage from my daughter's birthday party, my wife reading her books, etc from before she went to the hospital.

She didn't really care too much and would likely have allowed me to put cameras wherever I wanted. She probably thought this is all dumb but knew I enjoyed it as a hobby but would also be the first to check in on the house or want to look at footage from something.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, after some of the feedback from this thread I decided to make a new one asking for advice on all of my positions. I'm still not sure if it was a good idea, but I'm sure it will likely be helpful to others as I get opinions and work through everything.

If you haven't seen it, let me know your opinions/advice.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Video might still be processing on YouTube, but this is about as much light as I am going to get (unless the neighbors across the street have white lights). The can lights on my front porch (left side) are 20% at the beginning of the video but after I trigger them they go to 100%. Later in the video you can also see someone walking across the street.

Any thoughts on tweaking the settings?

1668995702759.png1668995724349.png