Do I need outdoor-rated cable for buried PVC conduit run?

Reaction score
Hello!

I am planning my first install to a single PoE cam (IPC-T2431T-AS) to start out with.

I read the Cliff Notes and the post about cables it linked to but haven't seen this addressed.

My total cable run is about 100ft which includes 60ft outdoors. I will run the entire outdoor section in its own PVC conduit. About 30 ft of the outdoor run will be buried and the rest above ground. No powerline proximity expected.

Do I need to use outdoor-rated or will normal indoor be fine since its conduited?

FWIW the only outdoor-rated solid copper cable available here is the shielded stuff.

Planning to use cat 5e and if indoor is fine I'd likely use this cable.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Thanks.

Does this cable seem fine - it doesn't mention burial but says its for outdoors and I see it has PE jacket and polyester tape inside?

Haven't found any cable saying burial rated here yet.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Outdoor rated would be better than just plain old CAT cable, but direct burial would be best. It has a gel inside to further displace moisture and underground conduit can get pretty damp for a variety of reasons. That particular cable says it's 24 gauge, 23 gauge is the preferred wire gauge.

CenterDev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score