Do I need two ethernet cables or one?

wisemd03

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to install a IP camera at my gate and run 300ft of cat6 to my detached workshop and then to the house where the NVR, router modem is located. I would also like to have internet on my workshop computer. My question is do I need to run 2 ethernet cables between the shop and house or use some sort of switch/router in the shop with one cable between shop and house? Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
run one cable from your house to your shop, and put a small switch in there.. for your workshop computer and perhaps a local wifi access point, then another cable from your workshop to the camera with a PoE injector plugged into your garage.

Just branch the shop off with a GigE switch and you'll have plenty of ports in the shop for current and future use.. only 1 run needed.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
or at least run conduit so it can be replaced or added to without digging again..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
leave a rope in the conduit and if you decide you need a 2nd cable it wont be any drama... 300ft is a long ways to try to push a wire through.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yep run a snake line or rope in there and if you need to run it again at later time, attach another rope to the cable you pull so that u have the rope in there again for future