Do Intel NUCs work ok now - or do they still have memory leaks

schford

n3wb
Reaction score
I am thinking of picking up one of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4EP1N0/

Its got an i5 Id put in 16gb and an SSD then use a Purple drive in an external case. It is for a holiday home where I want to tuck it out of site (hence the need for a small foot print).

Doe anyone have any thoughts as to how this would work - are there still issues with the Intel drivers and blue iris for nucs?

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bhowell

n3wb
Reaction score
I am thinking of picking up one of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4EP1N0/

Its got an i5 Id put in 16gb and an SSD then use a Purple drive in an external case. It is for a holiday home where I want to tuck it out of site (hence the need for a small foot print).

Doe anyone have any thoughts as to how this would work - are there still issues with the Intel drivers and blue iris for nucs?

Thanks in advance.

Stuart
I think it's fine but with some limitations. I'm running 8 2MP cameras on an i3 NUC w/ Blue Iris. I did have to optimize the settings in Blue Iris and drop the frames to 15/second to get my CPU usage below 50%. It was pegged at 100% if I re-encoded the video before saving (doing direct to disk recording now).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Newer NUC's have i5 & i7's with Quick Sync on the core, if your CPU is Intel with Quick Sync on the dies, it'll be fine. Of interest a new Super NUC is coming out by Intel with AMD GPU so it'll be interesting if BI will finally decide to support more than just Intel for hardware encode/decode.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Newer NUC's have i5 & i7's with Quick Sync on the core, if your CPU is Intel with Quick Sync on the dies, it'll be fine. Of interest a new Super NUC is coming out by Intel with AMD GPU so it'll be interesting if BI will finally decide to support more than just Intel for hardware encode/decode.
intels decision to use an amd gpu in a nuc will not influence BI....nuc's are overpriced, weak and have limited storage options which makes them a poor choice from BI machines.
for the record the memory leak has nothing to do with the nuc form factor...

Ed H

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been running NUC6i5 for a year and a half with four cameras with no problems. Runs about 15-50% load on processor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been running NUC6i5 for a year and a half with four cameras with no problems. Runs about 15-50% load on processor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The number of cameras is irrelavant...it's the total fps and resolution.

Reaction score
I've been running my NUC D54250 for 3 years no problem with BI running 9 cameras. It also runs plex and logitech music server. 64 bit system with 8gb and 250SSD. Like the other poster said, it all has to do with fps and bandwidth.