Do NVRs work with all IP Cameras?

Reaction score
I have two IP cameras that I would like to view remotely on the same network.

• Zmodo ZM-SH-721 Ezcam
  • ESCAM Peashooter QD520

Does it matter what NVR I buy to decode the H.264 video stream?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two IP cameras that I would like to view remotely on the same network.

• Zmodo ZM-SH-721 Ezcam
  • ESCAM Peashooter QD520

Does it matter what NVR I buy to decode the H.264 video stream?
Yes it matters. If the cameras are onvif compliant the NVR will likely display video, but motion detection may not work.

Reaction score
The cameras both support onvif 2.0. How do you know if the NVR will support motion detection?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The cameras both support onvif 2.0. How do you know if the NVR will support motion detection?
It's a complete crap shoot.... No way to know without trying... That is why it's best to use the same brand for both.. Alternatively you can use a third part vms like blue iris...

Sent via Taptalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Many 'ONVIF compliant' cameras do not support the 'push/pull event subscription' specification that would support motion detection, it is / was an optional part of the early ONVIF specifications.
A good way to check if your camera provides the event notifications that could be used to provide motion detection actions is to check them out with the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
The 'Events' page will show a live running view of what if anything the camera offers when there is motion in view.