Do POE Cams Have their Own IP Address (like my Wifi cams?)

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still learning about cams and BI so this will be a very easy question for somebody. Here's the setup and question:

I currently own and use five WiFi cams inside and outside my home -- I've never owned a POE cam.

I'm about to add three POE cams to my setup. I've purchased a simple 5-port UNmanaged POE switch for these latter three cameras.

Because I have thus far used only WiFi cams and am unsure of the difference between a unmanaged and managed switch (or if I even need the latter), I'm wondering:

QUESTION: When I attempt to add my three new POE cams to Blue Iris using the unmanaged POE switch, will they all still have separate IP addresses allowing me to do this, or do I need a managed switch to give each an IP address that I use to add the cams in BI? I'm merely unsure if my unmanaged POE switch will do something like give me a single IP address for the unmanaged switch box itself, and not allow me to add the cameras separately. Thanks folks.

Brad Palmquist

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, thanks for corroborating what I was almost sure of or at least hoped. Much appreciated!
Any idea how to locate those IPs? Newbie here, plugged 2 5831 cams into a netgear poe switch. Ran an local ip scan and only located 1 of the cams and the switch. Then I tried to add the 1 cam IP into Ivideon and it wouldnt locate the cam...

I temporarily gave up on computer setup and plugged in 5216 Nvr, got the IP from its settings. I typed that into web browser but it wouldnt load anything, and I got a timeout error.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Any idea how to locate those IPs? Newbie here, plugged 2 5831 cams into a netgear poe switch. Ran an local ip scan and only located 1 of the cams and the switch. Then I tried to add the 1 cam IP into Ivideon and it wouldnt locate the cam...

I temporarily gave up on computer setup and plugged in 5216 Nvr, got the IP from its settings. I typed that into web browser but it wouldnt load anything, and I got a timeout error.

Been there done that. IP conflict when you plugged in two without first changing the IP on the first one.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@DroMike
Great tool for locating network devices or scanning large blocks of IP ranges for devices very quickly. There are several tools like this, but this has been my goto for several years.

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My recommendation is to connect your pc and the camera to a switch that's not on your network. Then change your IP to the same subnet as the camera and change the cam IP before plugging it into your network. This gives you a chance to change the password and everything prior to sticking it on your network. Also avoids IP conflicts and a headache later.

Brad Palmquist

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all for the help, I feel like i am SLOWLY getting the hang of this. However, I now have a new problem. I definitely want a BI setup, but for now am going to use the 5216 NVR. The NVR has 1 camera hooked up to it (for now) and when viewing through the nvr all appears fine. However, I want to do a firmware update to hopefully remedy not getting email notifications. But, the configtool wont locate the NVR, even when I manually enter the IP address and login info. I used the Advanced IP Scanner and the NVR is on the default 192.168.1.108 IP and it shows an active connection. When I attempt to login to the NVR through the web browser it also does not connect.

snip.png

err.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Brad Palmquist

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and welcome. I will definitely be reading up on this. I should have added, that under system settings in the NVR, it shows the 192.168.1.108 IP address and it is grayed out so I cant change it from there. That is why I was attempting to locate it on ConfigTool to change it away from the default. I cant understand why everything shows it on that IP, yet I cant locate it on my network there and the ConfigTool cant find it.

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Brad, can you get to the cameras browser interface by opening internet explorer and typing in the IP address?

Brad Palmquist

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Brad, can you get to the cameras browser interface by opening internet explorer and typing in the IP address?
Nope, I just tried. Its showing IP 10.1.1.65 in the NVR. Displays and records fine on NVR, but cant access through web browser, ConfigTool, and not showing in IP Scanner

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's now on a different subnet from you PC being attached to the NVR. To make things a little more complicated, the NVR won't forward traffic from the "outside" network, your 192.168.x.x to the camera network 10.1.x.x. At least I don't think it will. Next option to get to the camera from a web browser would be to plug the PC into the NVR on a spare camera port.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You have a built-in PoE switch NVR. On the registaration page their are little blue icons for each camera, click and they will open the camera web interface on the 10.1.1.x subnet. Only way

Depending on your FW you'll see one of these

POE-NVR-AccessCameras.jpg NewNVRUI-CameraAccess2.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have a built-in PoE switch NVR. On the registaration page their are little blue icons for each camera, click and they will open the camera web interface on the 10.1.1.x subnet. Only way

Depending on your FW you'll see one of these

View attachment 55550 View attachment 55551
To clarify, this method only works when accessing the NVR' via it's network interface. ;)

Brad Palmquist

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's now on a different subnet from you PC being attached to the NVR. To make things a little more complicated, the NVR won't forward traffic from the "outside" network, your 192.168.x.x to the camera network 10.1.x.x. At least I don't think it will. Next option to get to the camera from a web browser would be to plug the PC into the NVR on a spare camera port.
Thanks for the response. I tried doing this and couldn't connect to the camera, or anything else. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, but Im out of ideas (and patience lol). All the settings in the NVR itself to change IP or subnet are all grayed out, so I cant for the life of me think of how to get back to the NVR from the browser. I tried to "Test" the connection on the NVR and it obviously timed out. Thanks again all, and sorry to pass my headache on to you guys.

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I tried doing this and couldn't connect to the camera, or anything else. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, but Im out of ideas (and patience lol). All the settings in the NVR itself to change IP or subnet are all grayed out, so I cant for the life of me think of how to get back to the NVR from the browser. I tried to "Test" the connection on the NVR and it obviously timed out. Thanks again all, and sorry to pass my headache on to you guys.
Have you tried resetting the camera to factory default?

Brad Palmquist

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting the camera to factory default?
I have not, with the cam being visible in the NVR I'm starting to think the issue is with the NVR? I tried to reset the NVR but couldn't find how to do that. I researched it and it looks like on V3 firmware it was easy but the same options dont appear on V4....?