Do police ignore your video?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by cam235, Jan 18, 2018.

Share This Page

1. cam235

cam235 Pulling my weight

Local theft of > $4000 in tools from a work truck (not mine, thankfully) parked on the street in front of a house overnight. Neighbors have video of two people involved, including a clear view of a getaway vehicle and the plate. San Jose PD was offered the video. Their response (paraphrased): "Sorry but no one is interested."

I thought they might take it and just sit on it, but no. In fact with grand theft they won't even pretend to collect evidence.

Please tell me it is not like this in other areas.

EDIT: Update 1/19. My city councilman agrees this is not right, and his office is looking into it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Xicaque, xGROMx and mat200 like this.
  2. Coger2017

Coger2017 n3wb

Oh I find that very hard to believe. But!! If true, a simple phone call to the world famous and honest newspaper or news channel will get better results.

Xicaque and mat200 like this.
  3. Frankenscript

Frankenscript n3wb

Sounds like a great story to tell to the local news channel. They love expose' stuff like this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

The_Penguin and mat200 like this.
  4. Parley

Parley Pulling my weight

Our local police is interested in my videos. They have been in my house a few times to view videos and take copies. This is one of the reasons I have been upgrading my cameras for better night time pictures.

looney2ns and mat200 like this.
  5. bigredfish

bigredfish Getting comfortable

California? ... um..

spoonek, Tinman and looney2ns like this.
  6. cam235

cam235 Pulling my weight

I agree the local news may be the way to go. By the way, I am not saying they do nothing; they do respond to violent incidents and real-time intruders. However, in this case and with others I'm aware of, property crime (of any magnitude) after the fact is simply not on the radar.

I do not think it is necessarily a California thing, although there is a recent law making theft under $950 just a misdemeanor. In fact I've heard good things about police response in neighboring cities. I don't have a lot of data but I wonder if this may be something specific about San Jose.

mat200 likes this.
  7. bigredfish

bigredfish Getting comfortable

No offense :)

I just find there are very few things about the folks running that country that I understand ;)

looney2ns likes this.
  8. mat200

mat200 Known around here

Hi Cam,

San Jose CA -

In addition to news, hit the following:

nextdoor
    facebook
    + other online news sites / blogs as well as social media outlets.

Profits, looney2ns and fenderman like this.
  9. Revlus

Revlus Getting the hang of it

In my town, a neighbor had a burglary attempt, but alarm went off and they ran. Cops came knocking asking if I had cams/video. So that's why:
    1) I'm getting my security system re-setup
    2) I'm getting cams
    3) I am here

10. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

Nope, they are very interested in home owners video here.

Also Time to become a nuisance to the police chef, the city council, the mayor and prosecutors office.
    Heck, file a complaint on the state attorney generals website.
    It "could be" due to budget cuts, and they have to prioritize....that's insane.
    But again, as the fish said, it's commifornia, little that does make sense.

Revlus and mat200 like this.
  11. cam235

cam235 Pulling my weight

Before hitting the newspapers I did contact my district's city council member and his office did get back today with an apology, and says they want to figure out what happened and fix this right away. So, we shall see.

mat200, bp2008 and Revlus like this.
  12. RJF

RJF Getting the hang of it

DC police request and post to their YouTube channel homeowner videos all the time. DC will reimburse you up to $500 for your video cameras if you agree to provide footage if they need it.

spoonek and mat200 like this.
  13. Fastb

Fastb Known around here

Maybe the police have grown tired coming out to see low quality video from Nest and Ring cams. ie: video that doesn't have a good facial shot, doesn't help the LEO, and actually wastes their time.
    This wasn't another porch pirate situation however. The LEO was told the video contains the license plate, vehicles, and people. Also, $4K in tools should warrant a higher level of LEO investigation.....

looney2ns and mat200 like this.
  14. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

They see crap video caps from bank robberies all the time, and still respond.
    ;)

mat200 likes this.
  15. CCTVCam

CCTVCam Getting the hang of it

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the politicians aren't really interested in stopping crime because it doesn't affect them. As politicians they have around the clock protection plus most live in expensive neighbourhoods that are largely unaffected by crime. To them policing and prisons are just another budget expense they could do without getting larger. Then there's the fact that some aspects of crime, are prevalent in the rich and so they probably don't want to stop them. eg. I'm pretty sure in the UK they could stop drugs overnight (harder in the US because of the size and numbers), but I'm also of the opinion they don't want to. How many rich and famous do you hear of using party drugs?

Matt L. likes this.
  16. Matt L.

Matt L. Young grasshopper

I'm a bit worried to tell police as they could just seize the stuff. Nice that DC Metro will reimburse. Too frequently that happens to people, less often businesses, rich people.

17. RJF

Not that worried. If the police want the footage they will get it, whether or not you have agreed in advance to provide it. Unless the camera is camouflaged, they are likely to see it when they scope out the crime scene.

18. cam235

cam235 Pulling my weight

Just as a followup, regarding the original incident: the city councilman's office was able to forward the video to police. Still not sure why SJPD didn't take interest in the first place.

In fairness to other local police agencies, it appears that some of them eg. Fremont PD does actively pursue property crimes. They just reported one guy had 700 stolen laptops at his house. He was fencing locally plus a regular monthly truckload shipping out to Asia. Trying to even out the international trade imbalance I guess.
    Thousands of stolen laptops, tablets recovered in massive Bay Area car burglary scheme

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    mat200 likes this.
  19. PapaBill

PapaBill Young grasshopper

In the Heart of MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.
    Welcome to the Bay Area, where the law only cares about the rich and famous, and if your just a homeowner or even renter... BIG DEAL.
    Yes I know since I was born and raised in Redwood City, but luckily my family got me out of that crap bay and into the central valley.
    Hope they finally get off their arses and do something about that theft.
    Keep us informed please.

I forgot to mention at least over here in the central valley, the local P.D. and even the S.O. ask to see any videos ya have of a crime.

20. darrenph1

darrenph1 Young grasshopper

In Los Angeles here. We were broken into but our neighbor confronted the getaway car mid burglary. They got away with next to nothing. When I got home and the police were there with my wife. I told them I had the security cameras. They asked to see if we could see the guys in the footage. I only had front and side house cameras at that time and they came in the back from another neighbors backyard, but I have them driving up and down the the street, getting out of the car and running back to the car after the confrontation. I burned a DVD for them right there and was asked if I could email the clips via dropbox to one of their detectives.

Now granted there wasn't much in the footage to help them much, paper plates on the cars and the guys were wearing hoodies and masks and using walkie talkies to communicate as thats how the guy inside found out it was time to go...

Can't believe they wouldn't want to see the footage you have, that sucks,

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  21. cam235

cam235 Pulling my weight

I'll report back if anything comes of it. On the topic of paper plates and car breakins in CA, here's a fun article: SF neighborhood, police powerless against car break-ins
    Supposedly, in 2019 a new law takes effect in CA (finally!) that all cars need to have temporary tags or real plates, not the blank tags so common now. I wonder if that will do anything. Likely they'll just print up fake temporary tags, or steal someone else's I guess. But if the police are actually watching the suspect beforehand, as in the article above, they could run the plate right away and maybe find probable cause.

22. Profits

Profits n3wb

About a year ago, I attempted to contact the local Oakland Police. I had a dashcam video of a late model BMW X6 flying down the freeway missing a front wheel, with sparks shooting out of the wheel well from the rotor dragging on the ground. The entire left fender was peeled back. It just kind of rubbed me as being one of those "suspicious" things that would probably be interesting to the police. Well, I searched high and low for a place to contact them, finally resorting to just calling on the phone. To my surprise, they have no Facebook wall that the public can post to. They have no email address to email a link to Youtube. They have quite literally no way for me to get a video to them. I guess it shouldn't have been surprising to me that she requested I "bring the file to them". In the year 2017. All the resources listed above are literally free, and provide limitless access to precious evidence that the city of Oakland appears to just want to ignore.

But as someone above already mentioned, it seems they live to respond to crimes "in progress". But that also scares the crap out of me because if I ever had to report someone breaking into my house, their response would likely be "shoot first, ask questions later" and being the home owner, I might be one of the people they first come across. I used to live in a condo with my neighbor being the San Francisco police chief, and I used to watch the cameras pretty regularly. One time I went and knocked on his door to mention a guy who appeared to match the description of someone who had stolen one of our indoor cameras loitering outside the building, and attempting to see inside. The very first thing he did was grab his .38 and sprint out the door and down the stairs. After that incident, and witnessing his response, I felt like I needed to re-assess how I report crimes... because it can very literally get an innocent person killed.

Anyway, just food for thought.

23. RJF

Surprising and sad to hear. For all DC's faults, the police here are amazing. If a few neighbors get together and say we want more police presence because of X or Y, you can bet they'll send more car, bike, and foot patrols down your block at least for a while. They go out of their way to be helpful, with the caveat that property crimes like a non-in-progress broken-into car is going to get a very low priority response. Then again, my guess is we have more police per capita than most other places. You can't drive 4 blocks without seeing a cop. As far as footage, I've provided it to MPD a number of times and it has made the MPD YouTube channel where they post videos about persons of interest or suspects.

24. Fastb

Fastb Known around here

I have a similar story.

In 2015, a car sped past me illegally on a two lane road approaching a blind curve. Solid double yellow line, ie: no passing. He kept speeding, maybe 50mph in a 25mph zone. 1/2 mile later, in the distance, I saw the car go off the road and crash through the guard rail, and ended up straddling the sidewalk. A pedestrian was 25 ft away at the time of the crash.

When I pulled over, the driver was still in the car, dazed. When asked, he said he was okay. Then he tried to start his car to drive away. I explained the crash had severely damaged the front of his car, and antifreeze was running down the sidewalk. The driver got out to take a look. He stood directly in the steam of anti-freeze, and tugged on the dangling bumper. I thought; "This is strange, maybe he's drunk? But it's 7:30am. Maybe it's drugs? Maybe he's a few cards short of a full deck?"

My car was equipped with 4 cams and an NVR. I caught it all.

Later, I called the police, saying I was a witness, and I had footage. They said a detective would call me later. The next day, I got a call. The detective was interested in the footage. But couldn't visit me to view the footage. He didn't have access to YouTube from police computers (their IT dept blocks access). And he couldn't receive the video by email (I forget the reason). He asked me to drop off the video. Their location made that inconvenient to me, and frankly, why should a witness who is trying to help them do their job, have to spend time & energy? The detective agreed that a DVD in the mail was acceptable.

I offloaded the video from the NVR. I chose the "self extracting, with embedded video player" file type. This is suitable to comply with "Chain of Custody" requirements, which prevents tampering with the video. Meaning the video could be used in court, ie: the "evidence is admissible"

My only stipulation was that my employer not be identified, unless they asked me first. My employer sold cams and NVRs to police, bus and train customers. (that was the system I had in my car). I didn't think it was my decision to get my company involved. If the police found the evidence was useful, then some higher-ups in my company would decide how to get involved. (eg: the Legal Dept, Sr Mgmt, etc)

A few weeks later, I contacted the detective and asked about my video. He appreciated seeing the footage, and said the driver was charged with "speed in excess of conditions". The dangerous passing on a blind curve and his reckless driving warranted a "Reckless Driving" charge, the detective admitted. But my stipulation that I be contacted before the video was used in official documents made them decide to not use that evidence. Arrgh!

A head-on collision on the blind turn could have happened. A pedestrian could have been hit. The driver was clearly speeding, twice the speed limit. And I had the footage of the driver's very strange behavior after the accident, trying to leave the scene of an accident, and showing he shouldn't have been behind the wheel of a car.

Conclusions:
    - The PD was unable to easily accept video evidence, they
    - made it inconvenient for the witness (me) to submit evidence, and most aggravating,
    - they didn't use the evidence.
    - They pretty much let the driver off with barely a slap on the hand.

Fastb

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 2:20 PM