Does anyone LiveStream their camera on youtube?

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I put the bird feeder livestream on YouTube, raspberry pi SBC's were hard to find and expensive. All my other livestream cameras use a raspberry pi 3B or 3B+ running FFmpeg to do the RTSP to RTMP video conversion before the video is sent to YouTube. FFmpeg will handle everything you want to do with your livestream. OBS uses FFmpeg and adds a nice graphical interface. Other than that, it is the same program. If you are not into Linux command line operations, then OBS on a Linux computer would be a good choice. You will be able to add a weather overlay and other credits or ads. You would take your camera RTSP stream and run it into OBS to be converted to RTMP. In OBS you would enter your YouTube link and stream key.

Here is a link to another livestream camera that I use FFmpeg to encode the video and add the national weather service radio audio to the stream.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I put the bird feeder livestream on YouTube, raspberry pi SBC's were hard to find and expensive. All my other livestream cameras use a raspberry pi 3B or 3B+ running FFmpeg to do the RTSP to RTMP video conversion before the video is sent to YouTube. FFmpeg will handle everything you want to do with your livestream. OBS uses FFmpeg and adds a nice graphical interface. Other than that, it is the same program. If you are not into Linux command line operations, then OBS on a Linux computer would be a good choice. You will be able to add a weather overlay and other credits or ads. You would take your camera RTSP stream and run it into OBS to be converted to RTMP. In OBS you would enter your YouTube link and stream key.
Yes, I got the best results and reliability using OBS to stream our bluebird cam from Blue Iris. OBS is VERY flexible; I once used it to take YT videos and other live web pages and display as a camera in Blue Iris. For the record, the sometime jerky streams were before I got 1G fiber in Sept. of '22 !

nutu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I tried the Synology Nas Broadcast application with several settings but I only got a few days. Now streamed directly from Dahua's ip camera to YouTube, it has worked flawlessly for several days (from 21.3). The second stream of the camera is saved on the Nas server.
The stream is here if anyone wants to take a look at the tawny owl :) Pönttökamera Lohja-Live. Lehtopöllö, tawny owl.

I

78suited

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi
I tried the Synology Nas Broadcast application with several settings but I only got a few days. Now streamed directly from Dahua's ip camera to YouTube, it has worked flawlessly for several days (from 21.3). The second stream of the camera is saved on the Nas server.
The stream is here if anyone wants to take a look at the tawny owl :) Pönttökamera Lohja-Live. Lehtopöllö, tawny owl.

I
Nice, I can't stream directly from my Dahua cam anymore....dunno what has happened but it worked fine for a year ago. With Live Broadcast from my Synology NAS it works, but the stream doesn't stay online and stops after a while.

nutu

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have audio selected in the Dahua settings with the stream intended for YouTube? In the beginning with Dahua, I wondered why the stream doesn't show up on YouTube until I noticed that it must always have audio on as well. Just a guess :)

oceantrvlr

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know if this is relevant at all, but I had an Axis camera which managed to stream directly to Youtube for more than a year (it might have been more like two years). I think it somehow managed to keep reconnecting to the same stream on YT, even if I lost power or internet temporarily. Does that makes sense? That was with RTSP, correct?

Now that I have a Hikvision camera on that radio tower, I use OBS, which works, but not nearly as well. Is going back to using Axis equipment a partial answer to get stable streaming to YT?

78suited

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have audio selected in the Dahua settings with the stream intended for YouTube? In the beginning with Dahua, I wondered why the stream doesn't show up on YouTube until I noticed that it must always have audio on as well. Just a guess :)
You sir, are a lifesaver! I had my audio on, but the encode mode was on G.711A and changed it to AAC. Now RTMP works again straight from the cam to YT.