Does BI benefit from Dual processor? Dual E5 or a single I7?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't mean dual core... :p

Can't decide on if I want to build a Core i7 machine or use all server grade complete ECC RAM etc.. with dual E5 processors.

If I can get away with just a core I7 of some sort I'd do that. But ont he other hand, I have 16Gb of ECC RAM sitting here screaming to get used.

Money is an issue or else I'd have the Dual E5 regardless.

What I have now are...

4- Foscam SD Cameras
5- HikVision 3mp
1- Dahua 3mp

Will be adding at least 2 more Hik 3Mp as soon as the BI server get upgraded. and when the Foscam dies I will start replacing them with some more Hik of whatever Mp available at that time.

So as it stand, I will have at leaset 12 3mb camera sometime down the road and I don't ever seeing that passing 16.

The server happens to reside in my home office next to my IMac which I refuse to use unless I have to. So I often use the server to serve the web, do some word documents/pdf etc... but nothing heavy. It's also going to be my DHCP/DNS server and run Carbonite

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
An i7 is more than sufficient. There is no point in building a machine. You can pickup an optiplex 7020/9020 i7-4790 haswell with a 3 year next business day warranty from the dell outlet when the have a sale once or twice a month for 429-500...

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've not purchased a machine in 15 years. I build every single one of mine and not once I have any failure *knock on wood*

OTOH: My company uses dell, currently migrating to the 9020 and I'm already getting hardware failures on some. Motherboards are quite common. but for sub $500 it's pretty nice. I see the bill of how much we pay for ours so I never thought of ever spending that kind of money on these machine.

For an I7-4790, after 12-16 cameras, how much room should I expect to have left?

On my XEON X3440 With BI running as service and nothing is streaming, I'm @ 70%, once I open up Java view, I max out. BI streams to my home automation devices and acts as a Motion trigger for Vera. I hardly have any motion trigger set on BI so I can save some CPU.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've not purchased a machine in 15 years. I build every single one of mine and not once I have any failure *knock on wood*

OTOH: My company uses dell, currently migrating to the 9020 and I'm already getting hardware failures on some. Motherboards are quite common. but for sub $500 it's pretty nice. I see the bill of how much we pay for ours so I never thought of ever spending that kind of money on these machine.

For an I7-4790, after 12-16 cameras, how much room should I expect to have left?

On my XEON X3440 With BI running as service and nothing is streaming, I'm @ 70%, once I open up Java view, I max out. BI streams to my home automation devices and acts as a Motion trigger for Vera. I hardly have any motion trigger set on BI so I can save some CPU.
The dells are extreamly reliable, I have many of the 7020 and 9020 machines in service running blue iris and well as in an office environment and they dont ever give me issues. I also use hp elitedesks and they are spurb as well. The hp's those are cheap for the i5's (just picked up an i5-4790 for 317 shipped - full warranty until august 2018) I used to build my machines too, I will never again, its simply not worth it. You may see some failures if you are running many of the same machines, how many 9020's do you guys have?
Your xeon is pretty weak.
The cpu consumption will depend mostly on the total megapixels of the cameras and whether they are displaying on screen or not.
For comparison, I have a i7-4770 with 26mp and displaying 8 or so of them, using about 30% cpu...

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The dells are extreamly reliable, I have many of the 7020 and 9020 machines in service running blue iris and well as in an office environment and they dont ever give me issues. I also use hp elitedesks and they are spurb as well. The hp's those are cheap for the i5's (just picked up an i5-4790 for 317 shipped - full warranty until august 2018) I used to build my machines too, I will never again, its simply not worth it. You may see some failures if you are running many of the same machines, how many 9020's do you guys have?
Your xeon is pretty weak.
The cpu consumption will depend mostly on the total megapixels of the cameras and whether they are displaying on screen or not.
For comparison, I have a i7-4770 with 26mp and displaying 8 or so of them, using about 30% cpu...

I did a quick math and it seems I get 2-3% failure annually. The numbers isn't bad, I think I'm just holding a grudge against those few that failed cause I have to work extra. LOL

26Mp and 30% is great, I'm guessing if I went with 4790 is only a hair better, say 15, 3 mp running full time @ 45mp and displaying them all at the same time, if I can do away with 60-70% CPU usage I can live with that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did a quick math and it seems I get 2-3% failure annually. The numbers isn't bad, I think I'm just holding a grudge against those few that failed cause I have to work extra. LOL

26Mp and 30% is great, I'm guessing if I went with 4790 is only a hair better, say 15, 3 mp running full time @ 45mp and displaying them all at the same time, if I can do away with 60-70% CPU usage I can live with that.
I cant guarantee those numbers...but it should be somewhere around there...you can reduce the live view frame rate to 10 to eek out a bit more savings....note, my numbers are with direct to disk, most of the cams at 15fps, some at 20....

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I cant guarantee those numbers...but it should be somewhere around there...you can reduce the live view frame rate to 10 to eek out a bit more savings....note, my numbers are with direct to disk, most of the cams at 15fps, some at 20....
All of my cams are D2D as well but all set to 20fps. But technically, I only need 3 of the cams to have higher frames to catch cars speeding by.

So are u going to tell me where to buy the machines? :D

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All of my cams are D2D as well but all set to 20fps. But technically, I only need 3 of the cams to have higher frames to catch cars speeding by.

So are u going to tell me where to buy the machines? :D
Dell outlet twitter. Follow them. They have a sale twice a month...

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm with you dannieboiz on building your own. I've built my own PC's for 25 years and have never purchased a pre-built system. I've built PC's for many clients over the years also. I prefer to customize my systems and use components that I know are reliable. To each his own though. Many prefer the pre-built systems.

Reaction score
An i7 is more than sufficient. There is no point in building a machine. You can pickup an optiplex 7020/9020 i7-4790 haswell with a 3 year next business day warranty from the dell outlet when the have a sale once or twice a month for 429-500...
Does one need a full size tower or do the "small form factor" models work? Those are the only ones I can find for around $500.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does one need a full size tower or do the "small form factor" models work? Those are the only ones I can find for around $500.
Depends on how much storage you need...you will have to wait for a sale for the pricing to be good.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with you dannieboiz on building your own. I've built my own PC's for 25 years and have never purchased a pre-built system. I've built PC's for many clients over the years also. I prefer to customize my systems and use components that I know are reliable. To each his own though. Many prefer the pre-built systems.
I understand how you feel. Building them yourself has a lot of advantages. But usually the price tag beats all and you can't even come close if you build a system yourself versus taking advantage of one of these refurbished systems at their lowest prices. By the time you add the CPU and windows license to your cart, you've already hit the price tag of the (fully warrantied) refurbished system except you haven't added RAM, motherboard, case, power supply, or storage device yet.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Any idea when the next sale will be? I just checked and i7 is going for 839.00 :/

Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They have them twice a month. Follow the twitter feed for the outlet..

Sent via Taptalk

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dell Optiplex not an option for me in the UK :-(

I know it's how long is a bit of string, but what would an i5 running @ 2GHz be able to achieve? 4 x 3MP cameras?

I just have a low-powered one running nicely underclocked which I might use for the basis of my first BI machine.

Wrong answers but best guesses are perfectly welcomed :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dell Optiplex not an option for me in the UK :-(

I know it's how long is a bit of string, but what would an i5 running @ 2GHz be able to achieve? 4 x 3MP cameras?

I just have a low-powered one running nicely underclocked which I might use for the basis of my first BI machine.

Wrong answers but best guesses are perfectly welcomed :)
what model i5?