Does BI ever go on sale? It kind of irks me that non-subscription cost more and there is no lifetime option

bobross

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have there been sales or promotions in the past?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This site runs a continual sale on it for a new purchase.

BI is not really a subscription. It is a purchase that gives you one year of updates with that version. At the end of the year you can either stay at the most recent update you are at or pay for another year of updates ($30ish). Many people are running version 4 (BI is on 5 right now) with no problem.

I wouldn't call it a subscription because you can choose to not pay the $30 and stay on the latest version available to you (based on when your one year is up) or pay the $30 and get updates as they happen for the next year. Many people here are still running version 4 with no trouble and haven't paid in years other than the original purchase.

Contrast that to say a Ring subscription that when you quit paying, you quit getting access to recorded video.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score

BI is not really a subscription. It is a purchase that gives you one year of updates with that version. At the end of the year you can either stay at the most recent update you are at or pay for another year of updates ($30ish). Many people are running version 4 (BI is on 5 right now) with no problem.

I wouldn't call it a subscription because you can choose to not pay the $30 and stay on the latest version available to you (based on when your one year is up) or pay the $30 and get updates as they happen for the next year. Many people here are still running version 4 with no trouble and haven't paid in years other than the original purchase.

Contrast that to say a Ring subscription that when you quit paying, you quit getting access to recorded video.
I am sure this is typical of others, but the software company I work for calls it maintenance.

You have your initial purchase/licensing cost. To keep receiving updates you need to pay a yearly maintenance fee. You can opt to not be on maintenance and use the software as is, but you lose any updates with bug fixes, enhancements, etc. However, if you go off of maintenance it is far more expensive to become current.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I am sure this is typical of others, but the software company I work for calls it maintenance.

You have your initial purchase/licensing cost. To keep receiving updates you need to pay a yearly maintenance fee. You can opt to not be on maintenance and use the software as is, but you lose any updates with bug fixes, enhancements, etc. However, if you go off of maintenance it is far more expensive to become current.
Why is it expensive to become current, I thought you could buy support/maintenance whenever you wanted and that then allowed you updates within that period?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Why is it expensive to become current, I thought you could buy support/maintenance whenever you wanted and that then allowed you updates within that period?
Sorry. I am speaking for my company, not BI.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score

Don’t forget about certs expiring for mobile alerts when that happens the only way to get them working is to purchase a support plan.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don’t forget about certs expiring for mobile alerts when that happens the only way to get them working is to purchase a support plan.
I believe that is only for apple products.

And if someone decides to use pushover app instead, then it doesn't matter.

bobross

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its not a subscription in the traditional sense but usually companies only charge after a major version upgrade, not for minor updates.

Also, why are the prices like this?

Extend support & maintenance ($34.95 /yr)
1 yr. extension of support & maintenance ($39.95 one time)

So I have to pay more for the "privilege" of not auto-renewing?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Its not a subscription in the traditional sense but usually companies only charge after a major version upgrade, not for minor updates.

Also, why are the prices like this?

Extend support & maintenance ($34.95 /yr)
1 yr. extension of support & maintenance ($39.95 one time)

So I have to pay more for the "privilege" of not auto-renewing?
It is what it is, go do the cheaper option and then post here asking how to cancel the auto-renewal

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many products and services offer a discount for auto renew or autopay.

Reaction score
BI is a small business app, in that it is not owned by a large corporation as it is owned and operated by a person only. The only revenue it gets is the purchase price and the yearly maintenance. This guy lives and breathes BlueIris. He is the owner, programmer, and support analyst.

I for one am happy to pay for his service and maintenance yearly. It is constantly being upgraded and new versions come out almost weekly. I certainly would never quibble over a $5.00 difference in the maintenance price for auto update versus yearly. The $30+ dollars I spend each year on BI is probably the best cash I spend all year.

My only worry is that at some point he will decide he has had enough and will sell it or just stop programming. If he sells it, don't think for a moment that the prices will not increase.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have there been sales or promotions in the past?
This is only one paid vms on the market with a lifetime free upgrade. Nxwitness/dwipvms.
I dont understand why it irks you that someone wants to make money on their work product. Tell you what. For 1500 dollars I will sell you a lifetime of free updates to BI.

bobross

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How about just charge the same for 1 year reacurring or not and stop nickel and dimming people. How about that? It cost them nothing either way.

People on the official BI forums complain how hard it is to cancel the subscription.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How about just charge the same for 1 year reacurring or not and stop nickel and dimming people. How about that? It cost them nothing either way.

People on the official BI forums complain how hard it is to cancel the subscription.
...you are looking at it the wrong way....its not that you are being charged more for the 1 year. Its that you are getting a discount on the reacurring..would it make you feel better if he would just charged the same higher price for both?

It doesnt cost the developer nothing...he puts in days writing the code ALONE. By your logic he should just give it to you for free because you paid 60 bux 3 years ago. Stop acting like an entitled brat. No one owes you anything...dont like blue iris? There are 100 alternative options many of them FREE.
Amazing that you need WD40 to open your wallet for a 5 dollar difference. Stop trying to nickel and dime developers...

bobross

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I assume BI advertises heavily here. We will just be called entitled brats by the professional staff here. Got it.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Recently added some additional cameras to an Exacq pro system @ aprox $195 per IP license. That covers support for one year.

After a year, the software still works, but you will not be able to receive any software updates nor add/replace any cameras... unless your support subscription is current.

Last renewal of 1 year of support was aprox $40 per camera

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I assume BI advertises heavily here. We will just be called entitled brats by the professional staff here. Got it.
Blue Iris doesn't advertise here... You don't understand we've been threatened by dumbasses like you before... We don't care you are garbage...

This forum is the largest collection of information about IP cameras and Blue Iris out there... We don't give two shits about parasitic narcissists like you..

If I had a dollar for every butt hurt putz like yourself that complained to the BI developer about me.....It is a point of pride with me that I dont have to kiss asses like yours....perhaps other websites that beg for your business give two shits...not here.... I personally love telling you to fuck off!!

In the words of the great Elon musk.... You're going to threaten me with advertising... You're going to threaten me with money... Go fuck yourself.. Go fuck yourself..

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Recently added some additional cameras to an Exacq pro system @ aprox $195 per IP license. That covers support for one year.

After a year, the software still works, but you will not be able to receive any software updates nor add/replace any cameras... unless your support subscription is current.

Last renewal of 1 year of support was aprox $40 per camera
In addition if you want to re-enable support they will charge you for the months you did not have any support.... Whereas you can stop paying for Blue Iris support then pick up at any time and get a full year..