Does Blue Iris support any camera's built-in motion detection/recording, etc.?

shtirlitz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently running Logitech Alert with a bunch of cameras, but since it was discontinued a while back (and camera tech has advanced since too) I am looking to upgrade to something better.

Years ago I chose the Logitech solution over Blue Iris because at the time Blue Iris had no native camera support but instead was just monitoring the cameras video streams (which generated a lot of full time network traffic) and was doing all the motion detection, etc. on the server.

I am looking for server software which like Logitech Alert leaves the motion detection and creating the video files to the cameras and downloads the feed only when the camera made a clip/motion has been detected. If the camera hasn't noticed any motion and the user doesn't currently watch live feed, there shouldn't be video traffic between the camera and the server/no load on the network.

So ... can Blue Iris do this nowadays with some specific camera which it has native support for?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently running Logitech Alert with a bunch of cameras, but since it was discontinued a while back (and camera tech has advanced since too) I am looking to upgrade to something better.

Years ago I chose the Logitech solution over Blue Iris because at the time Blue Iris had no native camera support but instead was just monitoring the cameras video streams (which generated a lot of full time network traffic) and was doing all the motion detection, etc. on the server.

I am looking for server software which like Logitech Alert leaves the motion detection and creating the video files to the cameras and downloads the feed only when the camera made a clip/motion has been detected. If the camera hasn't noticed any motion and the user doesn't currently watch live feed, there shouldn't be video traffic between the camera and the server/no load on the network.

So ... can Blue Iris do this nowadays with some specific camera which it has native support for?
Welcome to the forum. While blue iris can be triggered by in camera motion from many onvif cameras like hikvision and dahua, the stream is always being sent to blue iris. That is just how any VMS software works..this is particularly important for pre trigger recording.
What is your concern about traffic? Understand that if the blue iris pc and the cameras are on the same switch then ZERO traffic is passed through your router or network unless you are remote viewing.

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Logitech Alert leaves the motion detection and creating the video files to the cameras and downloads the feed only when the camera made a clip/motion has been detected. If the camera hasn't noticed any motion and the user doesn't currently watch live feed, there shouldn't be video traffic between the camera and the server/no load on the network.
Logitech did this by saving the video to an SD card when it detected motion. It then downloaded the SD card to your PC when you started the software. The problem is after the SD card is over-written many times, they become corrupt. I experienced that too often and the higher quality SD cards didn't last much longer.

That is why I switched to BI.