Does DH-IPC-HDW4433C supports POE 802.3af?

nocloudcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I got a new DH-IPC-HDW4433C ().

Powering it with 12v (barrel) connector (and ethernet cable connected separately) works. But I cannot get it to work with passive 12v POE. The camera does not power up.

Wanted to ask how do current owners of this camera, do POE? Does this camera support 802.3af and can I connect it to a POE switch port (that does 802.3af) directly?

Given that the barrel connector on the camera takes 12v I assumed that it only does passive 12v POE -- and hence my attempt to use a 12v POE injector. The description on the link above does say 802.3af -- but am usually suspicious with those (especially when POE is involved :) Want to avoid having a dead camera because I sent >12v :)

Help on how to correctly POE power this camera will be appreciated w.r.t does active POE 802.3af work?

Thanks in advance!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with active and passive POE terminology. I'll just say that the camera should work when connected to a POE switch and the 12 volt barrel connector not connected. A POE switch usually uses mode A where the power is piggybacked on the 4 data wires. Injectors generally use mode B with the power sent on the 4 otherwise unused wires. The camera should work with either mode. Based on forum posts, it's not particularly rare to have a camera with a failure such that it doesn't work with POE, but still works when power is applied to the barrel connector.

Edit: I looked up active vs. passive POE. All of the POE switches I know about would be active, and all of the injectors I guess would be passive. Camera should work with either.

nocloudcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Edit: I looked up active vs. passive POE. All of the POE switches I know about would be active, and all of the injectors I guess would be passive. Camera should work with either.
Thanks for your reply!

Do the (passive) injectors do ~44V?

I tired using a passive injector with 12V supply (because the barrel connector takes 12V) -- and that did not work. And I am bit hesitant to try sending 44V :) until I hear from someone who is actually doing that without killing the cam :)

Thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are asking a conflicting question 802.3af can not be passive by definition. The barrel connector is for power when not using POE Ethernet

From

If your PoE device uses the PoE standard 48V 802.3af or 802.3at, it is considered to use active POE.

Also note that this is a Chinese hacked camera and is not upgradable.

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
All dahua cameras are active Poe, either AF or at depending on power requirements.

You will never hurt a device plugging it into an active Poe port. The active means that the Poe source negotiates with the Poe device and determines what is required, if any. If it is the wrong kind of Poe or does not require it, it won't send anything.

Passive Poe is just that, it doesn't do any active negotiation, it just sends power to the device and hopes it is correct.

I wish everyone was active Poe, it would make life so much easier. The only passive equipment I use is some ubiquiti stuff, although they are switching over to active slowly but surely. Sucks having to plug a passive Poe injector into an active Poe switch.

nocloudcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all. Let me order a POE switch (or injector) that can talk 802.3af and negotiate correctly. Will report back.

Final question, the camera on the back says: 12v/1.5A that comes to 18W, but 802.3af is rated for 15.4W -- how does this add up?

Thanks again!

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use ubiquiti AF Poe injectors with great success for all of my af cameras that aren't on a switch. They are cheap and have been reliable.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Final question, the camera on the back says: 12v/1.5A that comes to 18W, but 802.3af is rated for 15.4W -- how does this add up?
I'd say it doesn't add up, and it's even worse because the spec for power at the device is 12.95 watts. In reality, the camera will draw 8 to 9 watts with the IR running full blast, and half that or less with the IR off.

nocloudcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all. Let me order a POE switch (or injector) that can talk 802.3af and negotiate correctly. Will report back.
The 802.3af POE injector [1] was delivered and it works great with the camera.

Thanks all for help!

[1] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PZF8T2K/ (note this is a 802.3at version, as the one I bought seems to be sold out!)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.