Does more MP mean a wider view?

MrRodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will a 8MP 2.8mm cam have a wider view when compared to a 2.8mm 4MP cam?

I have 4MP cams from different makers and one has a wider resolution and it seems like it has a wider view even though both are 2.8mm

MrRodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The sensor size is a factor and that has nothing to do with MP.
So if i have a 2.8mm 4MP camera and it's sensor is a 1/1.2" it will see wider than a 2.8mm 4MP with a sensor 1/2.8"

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The answer is it depends. If you go by the scientific answer, one gives a wider image, but I can't remember which one.

The best approach is to use the manufacturer's horizontal angle spec on each camera. However, even those have been found to be a little off. I don't believe the camera manufacturers are very consistent, so the mm of the lens is really only relative to the same manufacture, and probably only to the same model. And maybe not then. I know someone on here compared fixed lens models to a varifocus and believe they found issues there. Use the spec sheet.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So if i have a 2.8mm 4MP camera and it's sensor is a 1/1.2" it will see wider than a 2.8mm 4MP with a sensor 1/2.8"
Yes and MP is not a factor.

For this I refer back to normal photography, where you may have heard of the terms, full-frame and crop sensors. A full-frame sensor is 35mm whereas a crop sensor is smaller. Now if you put a 100mm lens on a full-frame sensor, you get, well 100mm scene view (I think 35mm or full-frame is the base reference point). Now put that same 100mm lens on a crop sensor (Canon or Nikon or Sony, whatever) you multiply the base lens focal view by a factor of around 1.5 (there are slight differences between brands), so you effectively now have a lens of 150mm (100 x 1.5), that is, a zoomed in view.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will a 8MP 2.8mm cam have a wider view when compared to a 2.8mm 4MP cam?

I have 4MP cams from different makers and one has a wider resolution and it seems like it has a wider view even though both are 2.8mm
Hi @MrRodgers

Look for the specifications data sheet from the camera model, a good spec sheet will list the H and V FOVs for a given lens.

This makes it easier to help you determine what may work for your setup.

For example:

1632884764713.png

1632884735715.png

Attachments

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Not claiming to be an expert at all but surely the answer to this must be "it depends on ..." ? :D

By this I mean on how the optics are mount? I have a 5231-ze "Mp cam and a 5442T-ze 4Mp cam the 4Mp has a slightly wider view which I always thought was due to the distance between the sensor and the optics or am I being simple minded?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My old engineering studies made me revisit this question. The reason it is not simple comes down to standardized, normally to 35 mm cameras, focal lengths. Below is a page that shows the formula, and, it does relate directly to the sensor size. But, as others have shown on here, different manufacturers, and even fixed versus varifocus cameras of the same model are different. Hence the recommendations of using the manufacturers stated angle of view.

Anyways, for those so inclined, here is a link to an explanation and foumula, complete with arctan. This calculation is also the basis of the DORI calcs and formula used in the wiki that was discussed on here a few days ago in relation to how far can you identify someone. .