Does Ring Really Suck This Much?

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With the paid BI mobile app you can do two way talk.
This function has improved over time. When I first bought my IPC A-35 as a nursery cam, 2-way through Blue Iris didn't work (through the Dahua app it did work in testing, but I block all cams but the doorbell from the internet), but it does now (not sure when that happened), but it has not worked with my NSC-DB2. Only way for that to work is to use the cloud servers.

To the OP, your phone may still be the issue. I have a Pixel phone and my wife has an iPhone. Using the doorbell to start a 2-way call, my wife's iphone notification from the camera app is almost instantaneous, whereas my notification from the same camera app is very delayed, even after checking the recommended settings. My Blue Iris motion trigger comes in much quicker, even with using Deepstack analysis.

Last edited:

dcaton

n3wb
Reaction score
To the OP, your phone may still be the issue.
If we had older phones or low-end phones, perhaps. But over the last 4 years or so, my wife and I have had Galaxy Note 8's, Note 10's and now Note 20 Ultra 5G's. We both experience the same issues and pretty much only with Ring, nothing else.

It may be that later manufacturing runs of the Ring doorbell improved things. Who knows; I'll give them one last shot. The specs for the Doorbell Pro 2 lists "Audio+" as a feature, but no explanation as to what that means. Hopefully it means it actually works.

Reaction score
@dcaton A few months ago I was helping a friend set up a new wifi router. The router was setup to receive the DNS server automatically from the ISP (default settings). For whatever reason, his Ring doorbell and floodlight cameras did not like the DNS server and it would only show him a black screen when he connected. I changed the DNS server in the router to use the google DNS server (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and that fixed his problem. Maybe try changing your DNS server in the router to Google's and see if that makes a difference.

dcaton

n3wb
Reaction score
@dcaton A few months ago I was helping a friend set up a new wifi router. The router was setup to receive the DNS server automatically from the ISP (default settings). For whatever reason, his Ring doorbell and floodlight cameras did not like the DNS server and it would only show him a black screen when he connected. I changed the DNS server in the router to use the google DNS server (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and that fixed his problem. Maybe try changing your DNS server in the router to Google's and see if that makes a difference.
I'm not having problems like that, but I just checked and I'm using 75.75.75.75 which is Comcast's DNS. I could have sworn I changed that. Not that I trust Google's DNS any more than Comcast's as far as privacy goes.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not having problems like that, but I just checked and I'm using 75.75.75.75 which is Comcast's DNS. I could have sworn I changed that. Not that I trust Google's DNS any more than Comcast's as far as privacy goes.
Many other DNS options, google search is your friend. ;)

dcaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Many other DNS options, google search is your friend. ;)
I'm well aware, thanks. I have piHole running in a Docker container on my NAS, and I'm pretty sure its using 1.1.1.1 and all DNS queries that piHole doesn't block should be routed through that. Will have to check to see if something in the router's config didn't get reset.

dcaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Be sure to let us know how it goes with the new one.
So far so good. Audio quality seems to be greatly improved over the original Ring Pro, The "3d" motion sensing seems to have virtually eliminated all unwanted motion alerts and allows a larger motion zone height and width. For example I can include the sidewalk in the y-axis of my motion zone without actually detecting people walking down the street because the depth setting doesn't extend out to the sidewalk. You can't do that with 2d motion zones. Video quality is also improved as is the vertical field of view.

I'm happy, so far. I may end up replacing the Ring Pro at our main residence with the Pro 2 as well. Amazon has a trade in program that would reduce the cost to about $160.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So far so good. Audio quality seems to be greatly improved over the original Ring Pro, The "3d" motion sensing seems to have virtually eliminated all unwanted motion alerts and allows a larger motion zone height and width. For example I can include the sidewalk in the y-axis of my motion zone without actually detecting people walking down the street because the depth setting doesn't extend out to the sidewalk. You can't do that with 2d motion zones. Video quality is also improved as is the vertical field of view.

I'm happy, so far. I may end up replacing the Ring Pro at our main residence with the Pro 2 as well. Amazon has a trade in program that would reduce the cost to about $160.
Video examples of movement are appreciated. ;)