Does this look good for a Blue Iris machine?

BB818

n3wb
Reaction score
After lurking here for awhile, I've decided to buy an optiplex to run BI, and Dahua ip cameras (starting with a couple and eventually maybe 6 total - I haven't bought them yet). I'm thinking I'll get a ssd for the os & running BI (and possibly Plex), purple drive for storing the footage, and a 3rd drive for other storage/media.

I can get the configuration below for $400 from Craigslist. Of course I'd have to buy the hard drives separately and I wouldn't use the hdd or dvd drives this comes with, but this seems like a good deal:

OptiPlex 3050 MEDIUM TOWER
- Intel Core i7-6700
- 1TB, S3, 7.2K, 512E HD
- 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Memory
- Dvd+/-Rw,8X
- Intel Integrated Graphics,
- Waves Maxx Audio
- Windows 10 Professional English 64bit DT
- Mouse, Keyboard

Should I pull the trigger? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds fine. $400 is not a bad price for it. Find out how many 3.5 inch drive bays it has; I'm guessing only one or two and you may need to buy a plastic mounting caddy for a new drive.

MarkFrTX

n3wb
Reaction score
While we are on topic,

I have a system I was hoping to use.

Intel i7-5820 (X99 chipset). Does not have QuickSync
32 gig RAM
500 gbM.2 SSD
will purchase purple drives for video storage.
Two: EVGA 04G-P4-3673-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 4GB (in SLI)

I figure to run 6 to 10 3mp cameras.

I ask because of the GPU being NVidia not QuickSync.

Your thoughts appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While we are on topic,

I have a system I was hoping to use.

Intel i7-5820 (X99 chipset). Does not have QuickSync
32 gig RAM
500 gbM.2 SSD
will purchase purple drives for video storage.
Two: EVGA 04G-P4-3673-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 4GB (in SLI)

I figure to run 6 to 10 3mp cameras.

I ask because of the GPU being NVidia not QuickSync.

Your thoughts appreciated.
It will work but will be inefficient...check power consumption under load

MarkFrTX

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out for a system on Black Friday, which is scarily soon.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

footface

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all how does this PC look? Dell Inspiron Intel i5 12GB 1TB
I'm going to be getting Blue iris and 2x Reolink RLC-410 for use outside and 4x Amcrest IPM-HX1B for in the house.
I have been looking at the Choosing hardware for Blue Iris link and I see that the i5-6600 is on there. Is there any real difference from the i5-6600 to the i5-7400 besides (HT) that would impact blue iris?
I would like to buy the Computer brand new and not second hand and also probably will pick it up tomorrow if it is a good computer for the job. I do also have a WD Purple 3TB ready for action.
My main concern really is will I be able to record at 25-30 FPS on all cameras at their native resolution and view the footage on the web remotely.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all how does this PC look? Dell Inspiron Intel i5 12GB 1TB
I'm going to be getting Blue iris and 2x Reolink RLC-410 for use outside and 4x Amcrest IPM-HX1B for in the house.
I have been looking at the Choosing hardware for Blue Iris link and I see that the i5-6600 is on there. Is there any real difference from the i5-6600 to the i5-7400 besides (HT) that would impact blue iris?
I would like to buy the Computer brand new and not second hand and also probably will pick it up tomorrow if it is a good computer for the job. I do also have a WD Purple 3TB ready for action.
My main concern really is will I be able to record at 25-30 FPS on all cameras at their native resolution and view the footage on the web remotely.

Thanks!
it will work but you are overpaying...see threads discussing optiplex and elitedesk...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

footface

n3wb
Reaction score
it will work but you are overpaying...see threads discussing optiplex and elitedesk...
I'm not seeing much in the way of better than the i5-7400 on Amazon for less than $550 / I don't buy from ebay/creaigslist as I don't trust people and returns are a pain.
Could you provide me some links ? For a good optiplex or elitedesk I can't find much on Amazon that makes me happy for future upgrades.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not seeing much in the way of better than the i5-7400 on Amazon for less than $550 / I don't buy from ebay/creaigslist as I don't trust people and returns are a pain.
Could you provide me some links ? For a good optiplex or elitedesk I can't find much on Amazon that makes me happy for future upgrades.
Dell outlet...i have purchased at least 100 machines over the past few years via ebay...not problem...they are all under the dell/hp next business day warranty, but if you want to pay double, thats up to you, also with a system running w10 pro it will be easier to defer updates...

footface

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the dell outlet. No offence but for me I don't feel conferrable buying a second hand / refurbished pc form eBay / Newegg / TigerDirect. Amazon Prime items / Manufacturers website / local stores is where I'll spend my money even direct manufactures refirbs. It is just easier and better off for returns if needed in my mind.

Dell outlet has the same i5-7400 for $511 Refurbished vs $529 for the same spec pc and brand new at bestbuy. I have also looked at the i7-7th_gen and they are all over priced for what they are. Speaking forma custom pc builder. I can build a semi nice i5-7400 pc with Asus mobo / Kingston DDR4 8GB ram for right around $550. I still think that the Bestbuy Dell Inspiron is good for the price. On the dell outlet even going down to a i5-6th_gen or i7-5th_gen the best one is still the i5-7400 for the price ($511) but still id rather spend the extra $18 and get new and pick it up the same day.

Unless you have any other locations to get pcs for cheap I think the Inspiron will be the way that I go.
I use NTLite to make custom windows 10 iso for installs so that I can just strip out windows update functions :)

--
Also will web server playback work on blue iris when using the Direct to Disk function ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the dell outlet. No offence but for me I don't feel conferrable buying a second hand / refurbished pc form eBay / Newegg / TigerDirect. Amazon Prime items / Manufacturers website / local stores is where I'll spend my money even direct manufactures refirbs. It is just easier and better off for returns if needed in my mind.

Dell outlet has the same i5-7400 for $511 Refurbished vs $529 for the same spec pc and brand new at bestbuy. I have also looked at the i7-7th_gen and they are all over priced for what they are. Speaking forma custom pc builder. I can build a semi nice i5-7400 pc with Asus mobo / Kingston DDR4 8GB ram for right around $550. I still think that the Bestbuy Dell Inspiron is good for the price. On the dell outlet even going down to a i5-6th_gen or i7-5th_gen the best one is still the i5-7400 for the price ($511) but still id rather spend the extra $18 and get new and pick it up the same day.

Unless you have any other locations to get pcs for cheap I think the Inspiron will be the way that I go.
I use NTLite to make custom windows 10 iso for installs so that I can just strip out windows update functions :)

--
Also will web server playback work on blue iris when using the Direct to Disk function ?
read the threads on the optiplex...i cant do the research for you...from the outlet and ebay i5-7500 systems for 300, i7-6700 for 400-500 easy...its not 18 dollars...plus you get BUSINESS support, and next business day warranty repairs on site for 3 years...If you want to waste your money its your prerogative...you will want the update functions so you can perform updates when needed..
The price on that dell is terrible..
The systems on ebay - if you choose them correctly are not second hand... even at the dell outlet they are not refurbished in the sense that parts have been replaced...they are new systems that have been returned...ebay returns are just as easy as best buy or amazon...customer is always right...there are hundreds of folks on this website alone that went the dell outlet or ebay route...read the threads and the low prices they paid and you will see that you are paying about 250 more for your system.
yes the webserver doesnt care about the recording settings.

footface

n3wb
Reaction score
Dell sent me an email after my contact with them.
They offered me:
OptiPlex 3000 (3050) i5-7400 / 8gb DDR4 2400 for $447.10
OptiPlex 5000 (5050) i7-7700 / 8gb DDR4 2400 for $537.20
Both come with the - OptiPlex : 3 Year Hardware Service with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis [Included in Price]

My question is should I go for the i7 at almost a $100 price difference vs the i5?

I would want to run - 2x 4mp cameras and 4x 1080 cameras and probably in the near feature 2 more 4mp cameras?

RoysWing

n3wb
Reaction score
Dell sent me an email after my contact with them.
They offered me:
OptiPlex 3000 (3050) i5-7400 / 8gb DDR4 2400 for $447.10
OptiPlex 5000 (5050) i7-7700 / 8gb DDR4 2400 for $537.20
Both come with the - OptiPlex : 3 Year Hardware Service with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis [Included in Price]

My question is should I go for the i7 at almost a $100 price difference vs the i5?

I would want to run - 2x 4mp cameras and 4x 1080 cameras and probably in the near feature 2 more 4mp cameras?
YES!!!!!!