Does this video look choppy to you?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I saw someone elses post about choppy video and it made me start looking at mine a little closer. Seems a bit choppy to me, but not sure. What do you think? Do you think my video looks normal?

Directly from Blue Iris

From Camera SD Card

Here are my settings. Am I forcing my shutter speed to fast? I don't want any motion blur. I set similar settings on night profile as well.

1config.png

2config.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

Yes it appears choppy when I view. Wonder if it is possible to find a tool to tell us how many fps it actually recorded.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw someone elses post about choppy video and it made me start looking at mine a little closer. Seems a bit choppy to me, but not sure. What do you think? Do you think my video looks normal?
Here is a strawman to throw out:

The video is recorded at 15fps, let's say the car is travelling at 20mph, that's about 9m/s
In which case the car will have travelled 9 meters divided by 15 between each frame, which is about 0.6m
So when you watch the video, does the car look like it's jumping in 0.6m steps, about 2 feet for our Imperial cousins?
Without having the original video and not being able to check frame-by-frame it's a little hard to be sure - but I'd suggest yes.

Thoughts?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is a strawman to throw out:

The video is recorded at 15fps, let's say the car is travelling at 20mph, that's about 9m/s
In which case the car will have travelled 9 meters divided by 15 between each frame, which is about 0.6m
So when you watch the video, does the car look like it's jumping in 0.6m steps, about 2 feet for our Imperial cousins?
Without having the original video and not being able to check frame-by-frame it's a little hard to be sure - but I'd suggest yes.

Thoughts?
Oh so you are saying this looks normal for my fps?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok so sounds like this is normal. I'll test bumping up the fps but like others have said just to mess around. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't abnormal.