Doesn't this panel create more problems down the line?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
1712489213540.png 1712489226759.png

Doesn't this panel create more problems down the line? Isn't it better to punch rather than just plug and click?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks like it’s basically a utp coupler similar to what you’d use to extend say an Ethernet cable.

Can’t see why it would cause any issue as it’s just a more glorified patch panel minus the need to punch down but you’d need to put a plug on all the tails coming in behind it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 191676 View attachment 191677

Doesn't this panel create more problems down the line? Isn't it better to punch rather than just plug and click?
Yes .. @Arjun

FYI - for those wondering, THIS is the backside of the "patch panel"

Which means, you need to terminate the bulk cat5e/6 line with an RJ45 and plug it into the back of the panel, OR use premade cat5e/6 cables ..

IT Professionals I know prefer a proper punch down on the backside of the panel.

I personally DO not recommend this style of patch panel.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My thinking is this type of panel adds 2 more connectors to each cable run, adding more potential failure points. In my history, the single biggest type of failure has been with connectors.

slidermike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agreed, quality connectors make for a solid connection. No different than punching them down. I punch down connectors and sometimes they are not secure; no different than prebuilt as long as they are making a good contact.

All datacenters use patch panels. There is nothing wrong with doing this if you do it right. Mine has been working without issue for years.

kd5mdk

n3wb
Reaction score
If you're running bulk wire, you'll need to terminate each end with something. Punching down is in my experience a bit harder to get right than crimping a plug. But not so much harder it's worth crimping your own cables to use a passthrough jack.

IT Professionals usually hire an outside contractor to run the wires and do the punchdown, use their Fluke tester to provide a certification for each run and warranty they'll come out and fix it if it fails. If you're doing it yourself that's a bunch of different steps you're unlikely to do as well.

If you're running premade cables, then having a panel like this is definitely superior, and the cables are probably better made than what you can do yourself too. The only trouble is getting the right lengths.