Dome Camera Glare Issue... Not the glass?

rubinox

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm a long time reader, first time poster and I've encountered an issue that I can't seem to resolve.

I'm running Blue Iris on an i5 4460 with 6gb RAM with 4 Hikvision DS-2CD2135F-IS (gray market) POE cameras.
https://www.amazon.ca/Hikvision-DS-2CD2135F-Network-Infrared-DS-2CD2132F/dp/B01569RVBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478077673&sr=8-1&keywords=hikvision+dome+camera

My problem is with one of the cameras located in my driveway. I readjusted the camera angle and ever since I've been having an issue with glare. The camera was originally aimed further downwards.

South.20161102_013211.jpg

Thinking that I caused this by dirtying the glass when readjusting, I went back and made sure that everything was completely clean. To my surprise, the problem remained without the glass dome present. In fact, the above image is taken with the glass removed. I also tried re-adjusting the lens back to its original position however this glare effect remained.

I've tried just about every combination of settings on the camera's web GUI and the above image is about the best I can seem to achieve. It seems obvious that the issue is caused by the Infrared LEDs because if I manipulate the "Smart Supplement Light" manually and decrease the intensity, the glare fades. The problem with doing this, is that I must decrease the exposure time in order to compensate for the loss of light. This causes a terrible ghosting effect where I'm unable to obtain any discernible features from the video.

Furthermore, when my motion detection driveway lights are activated, the problem disappears entirely.

Camera settings for reference:

Brightness 50 | Contrast 50 | Saturation 50 | Sharpness 50
Iris Mode Manual | Exposure Time 1/25 | Gain 100
Smart Supplement Light On | Mode: Auto
Backlight: WDR On | WDR Level 10
White Balance AWB1
Digital Noise Reduction: Normal | Noise Reduction Level 100

The camera is located on the soffit in the upper right of the below image.

20160306_163907.jpg

I'm truly at a loss as to how I went and screwed this up! My only other thought is that the camera is getting reflection from above. Whether it be from the soffit or the overhang beneath where the gutter is sitting. (Which you can see if you look closely)

I think that about covers it, let me know if there is any more information I can provide.
If anyone has ANY ideas as to what I can try I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
Also, I'd like to add what a invaluable resource this forum has been time and time again while setting up my IP Cameras. Keep it up everyone! And thanks in advance for any replies!

Regards,

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The ir is reflecting off the white wood/plastic in front of it..

rubinox

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm.. I suppose it has to be that. Just found it strange that I never had the problem before.

Is there something I can coat the upper surface with to eliminate IR reflection?
My other option might be to rig something up so that the camera sits lower on the soffit, increasing the distance from any reflective objects.

Jason

rubinox

n3wb
Reaction score
I painted a piece of cardboard and fastened it above the camera. I'm going to see tonight whether or not it brings the issue to a tolerable level.

If so, I'll paint the under-hanging fascia board black, and call it a day.
If not, I'll have to devise a way to bring the camera down lower. I realize this is the better option but I don't think it will be quite as aesthetic.

I must have moved the camera more than I thought when readjusting it since I never had this issue before!

I'll update with the results.

Thanks!

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
White latex paint is like 90% reflective for visible light; which is about the same reflectivity as a typical home mirror heh.. so all-white soffits might as well just be unpolished mirrors as far as yer camera is concerned ;)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Try turning the internal IR off after adding an external IR illuminator. You'll really enjoy the improvement. Even good internal IR pales in comparison to external stuff, especially with fog, rain, snow, bugs, spiderwebs, etc. Add it and never look back.

rubinox

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I've certainly made an improvement. Thanks for the input guys, although I really should have known better. Hopefully this information proves useful for someone in the future.

As for the suggestion regarding the external IR, I'm definitely going to look into that. Getting power to these locations might be a bit of a trick though.

- Jason

South.20161103_205001.jpg

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Do they have a 12 volt barrel connector? If so, then use a POE splitter at the camera end and then use a Y connector and power both the camera and the illuminator from the POE that comes over the cat5. If you want to get fancy, you could use a POE+ injector and then use a larger Illuminator on the camera end or even a 3-way splitter and two smaller illuminators. Just don't go over your wattage budget.

rubinox

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, they have the barrel connector.

I hadn't considered that possibility. That will definitely simplify the install.

Thanks!

-Jason