Dome In-House PTZ Camera

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have Hikvision cameras for outside the house. I have one location inside the house that can oversee the entrance, kitchen and back door. Considering this, I want to install one PTZ camera (I only care about the P and maybe T). Also I want the camera as hidden as possible (just the dome). This led me to the Hikvision DS-2DF5286-AEL which only exposes the dome (my outside DS-2CD2132 also exposes the "socket/base" and can't PT). However, the 2DF5286 is listed for $1,700 which is WAY beyond my budget. What alternatives are there that also work with Blue Iris?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you need ir? that hikvision does not have ir leds...dahua makes some mini domes with no IR that are pt...but realistically are you going to sit there panning this camera?

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The Dahua DH-SD42C212S-HN and SD52C220S-HM (both PoE, PTZ, in-ceiling) look good. It would have been nice to have IR but I can live without it (just have to turn on lights when it's too dark). As for the panning, I would indeed do this. Basically, I will have 3 positions programmed, main door, back door, stove (in kitchen). Normally it will point to the front door. However, if motion is detected in the back while nobody is home it will automatically turn to the back door. And if I need to check if I turned off the stove then I will have it go to that pre-programmed position so I can check it remotely.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A dome ptz cannot have IR's, thats why they make those huge monsters with IR's. If you want the ptz to go to the back door, than you need another camera, or a motion detector to trigger an input to activate a preset.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
vector18, do you know why dome PTZ cameras cannot have IRs? On the non PTZ the IRs move with the (manual) adjustment of the lens so I assume that should work fine with PT. That leaves the zooming preventing IRs. I would assume that IRs will just be adjusted for the widest angle but maybe that causes some other issues. Anyways, I am just curious.

I have an outdoor camera in the back. The idea is that when that camera detects any motion while nobody is home then I will have the inside camera point to the back door. In addition I can also have the (z-wave) lights turn on automatically when such a condition takes place.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can't have the IR's moving around inside the dome, it will cause glare and IR feedback. In fixed domes with IR's, there is a rubber gasket around the lens attached to the Dome so the lens only sees past the dome. If you make that camera move, it will break the seal between the lens and the dome and you will get a horrible picture.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
vector18, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.