Dome vs. mini dome (DS-2CD2142FWD-IS vs. DS-2CD2542FWD-IS) / PIR needed for automated surveillance?

Reaction score
I am deliberating which of those to buy. I compared the spec sheets and din't see any noteworthy differences except the slightly smaller size of the "mini" (111 mm × 82 mm vs. 99.3×96.7×52.8 mm) and minimum illumination (0.028 lux vs. 0.01 lux). I am wondering if I missed something? I am curious why they would offer two separate product lines with only minimal differences. Also, is there any drawback of the dome vs. the mini dome?

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just be aware DOMES / Mini DOMES are notorious for IR glare (IR light reflecting back into the lens), another than that it just down to the size and space available to installation, and DOMES usually have a stronger IR so they can see further.

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out. It is my understanding that "turret" style cameras are superior in almost all respects. However, it is also my understanding that for a halfway workable, automated human motion detection without plenty of false positives, an external PIR (passive infrared sensor) is required. For whatever reason that I don't understand, the turrets and mini bullets have no alarm input/ouput and as a result cannot be used with PIR, rendering them largely useless for automatic motion detection, effectively defeating their purpose as a security system. As a result, it appears that only the large bullets, the domes, or the mini domes would work for an automated surveillance system. Please anybody correct my if I'm wrong in my assumptions or conclusion.

Also, from the data sheet, I understand that the mini dome has a lower minimum illumination requirements (0.01 lux vs. 0.028 lux). Since there is a streetlight on my street also covering my driveway, it is not completely dark, and I hope to be able to run the mini dome in "day" mode day and night with infrared turned off. I read some posting with pictures on this and other forums where in some cases the "day" mode night pictures showed more details than the "night" mode night pictures. Please anybody correct me if my logic is wrong, or if you think my plan might not work out.