Dome vs. mini dome (DS-2CD2142FWD-IS vs. DS-2CD2542FWD-IS) / PIR needed for automated surveillance?

Reaction score
I am deliberating which of those to buy. I compared the spec sheets and din't see any noteworthy differences except the slightly smaller size of the "mini" (111 mm × 82 mm vs. 99.3×96.7×52.8 mm) and minimum illumination (0.028 lux vs. 0.01 lux). I am wondering if I missed something? I am curious why they would offer two separate product lines with only minimal differences. Also, is there any drawback of the dome vs. the mini dome?

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just be aware DOMES / Mini DOMES are notorious for IR glare (IR light reflecting back into the lens), another than that it just down to the size and space available to installation, and DOMES usually have a stronger IR so they can see further.

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out. It is my understanding that "turret" style cameras are superior in almost all respects. However, it is also my understanding that for a halfway workable, automated human motion detection without plenty of false positives, an external PIR (passive infrared sensor) is required. For whatever reason that I don't understand, the turrets and mini bullets have no alarm input/ouput and as a result cannot be used with PIR, rendering them largely useless for automatic motion detection, effectively defeating their purpose as a security system. As a result, it appears that only the large bullets, the domes, or the mini domes would work for an automated surveillance system. Please anybody correct my if I'm wrong in my assumptions or conclusion.

Also, from the data sheet, I understand that the mini dome has a lower minimum illumination requirements (0.01 lux vs. 0.028 lux). Since there is a streetlight on my street also covering my driveway, it is not completely dark, and I hope to be able to run the mini dome in "day" mode day and night with infrared turned off. I read some posting with pictures on this and other forums where in some cases the "day" mode night pictures showed more details than the "night" mode night pictures. Please anybody correct me if my logic is wrong, or if you think my plan might not work out.

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just wanted to chip in with my experience of Hivision mindome (2542) and domes (2142).
Yes they both start doing IR glare if the clear dome gets dirty or starts aging, but supposedly they are more resisting to tampering and sometimes it's not immediately obvious where they are oriented, depending on the installation it could be a plus.
Yes the domes have a much more powerful IR than minidomes. Both leds though tend to fail pretty weekly, and need replacement. I once found on AliExpress the very IR boards, but for the future I think I'll just resolder the 850nm leds.
The real problem with the minidome, at leas the 2542, is that the IR filter actuator is prone to FAIL. And a lot. To give you an idea, I own about 20 2542 in three houses, and 1/3 failed in the last 5 years. IT's a tiny actuator that clicks the led in and out of the optical path, and after a couple years it stops working. I tried to troubleshoot, it seems it gets an electrical impulse when it's supposed to flip, but it just stops working. It's not a mechanical jam. And that's a part I could never found online.
So far, I haven't seen this problem with the domes.
Just my experience with both.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FWD are all out of warranty, as they were produced 4-5 years back. I know you wanna go for lower price, but once it fails, well.

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FWD are all out of warranty, as they were produced 4-5 years back. I know you wanna go for lower price, but once it fails, well.
Not sure I understand this reply. My point not about being in warranty or not, it was just to show that, at least according to my personal experience of 20+ cams of this type, 1/3 of the 2542's systematically failed for the IR cut filter, while none of the 2142 and 2642 I have did. Some failed in the first 1-2 years, others later. So there is (was) clearly a systematic defect with these cameras. As for as "going for the lower price", not sure what you mean, back then when I got them there was only one type of minidome and that was the 2542, and costed pretty much like the 2142. The 2542 failed on me, the 2142 did not. That's it. Of course Hikvision did not unknowledge any problem of that sort.