Doorbell cam POE

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I thought a WiFi doorbell cam would be a great, easy option, but it looks like it's a 100% crapshoot as to quality/usability. Then I remembered that I did run Cat5e to the doorbell so there's no reason I can't go POE. My wife wants the ability to talk to whoever is at the door, I assume there is not going to be a huge improvement in delay time between a WiFi and POE device for this (still have to wait for the notification, unlock the phone, open the app)?
Has anybody gone from WiFi to POE and seen a drastic improvement in their doorbell cam?
Any options other than Doorbird?
There will be overlapping coverage between whatever is at the front door and another camera, so the image quality isn't critical (better image quality is always better, more pixels isn't always better).

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought a WiFi doorbell cam would be a great, easy option, but it looks like it's a 100% crapshoot as to quality/usability. Then I remembered that I did run Cat5e to the doorbell so there's no reason I can't go POE. My wife wants the ability to talk to whoever is at the door, I assume there is not going to be a huge improvement in delay time between a WiFi and POE device for this (still have to wait for the notification, unlock the phone, open the app)?
Has anybody gone from WiFi to POE and seen a drastic improvement in their doorbell cam?
Any options other than Doorbird?
There will be overlapping coverage between whatever is at the front door and another camera, so the image quality isn't critical (better image quality is always better, more pixels isn't always better).
Hi @Podagrower

Number of options.. iirc dahua has some under villa stations and intercoms. You should be able to find a number of threads on those here at ipcamtalk. Look for models beginning with VTOxxx