Double CPU usage with HW acceleration - only while using NVIDIA GPU

nejakejnick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wanted to play some games (and be a little bit warmer in the winter :) ), so I connected my old GTX 770 and BI suddenly started eating way more CPU.

I am not entirely sure but I think it behaved fine last week before I removed the GPU, also I read here that a dedicated GPU should lower the CPU usage when showing the GUI.

I recently updated Intel driver and did some Windows updates - so that might be related, although old Intel driver and uninstalling some updates did not help and Windows fucked me by not making a restoration point - even though it was enabled.

Total CPU usage:
60% with HW acceleration, with NVIDIA GPU
44% without HW acceleration, with NVIDIA GPU
30% with HW acceleration, without NVIDIA GPU (20% with " Yes+VideoPostproc")

Is that normal?

Windows 7
Blue Iris 4.6.9.5 x64
i5-3570K - HD Graphics 4000 10.18.10.4885, 10.18.10.4425
one monitor connected to NVIDIA, none to integrated

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to play some games (and be a little bit warmer in the winter :) ), so I connected my old GTX 770 and BI suddenly started eating way more CPU.

I am not entirely sure but I think it behaved fine last week before I removed the GPU, also I read here that a dedicated GPU should lower the CPU usage when showing the GUI.

I recently updated Intel driver and did some Windows updates - so that might be related, although old Intel driver and uninstalling some updates did not help and Windows fucked me by not making a restoration point - even though it was enabled.

CPU usage:
60% with HW acceleration, with NVIDIA GPU
44% without HW acceleration, with NVIDIA GPU
30% with HW acceleration, without NVIDIA GPU (20% with " Yes+VideoPostproc")

Is that normal?

Windows 7
Blue Iris 4.6.9.5 x64
i5-3570K - HD Graphics 4000 10.18.10.4885, 10.18.10.4425
one monitor connected to NVIDIA, none to integrated
1) dont use your bi machine for other tasks...particularly games..
2) your motherboard may not support running intel hd alongside the nvidia..

nejakejnick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I figured it out.

My MB supports running both GPUs, but there must be a monitor connected to the iGPU when BI is started. It does not matter if the monitor is turned off, but Windows must be extending the desktop to it.

It is also possible to enable/disable the monitor and then restart cameras from BI.
That seems reasonable, the iGPU is just too smart for its own good.

What is strange is that BI consumes more CPU with enabled HW acceleration - when iGPU is disabled. I would expect it to write "not supported" just like with "Yes+VideoPostproc" and behave like it is disabled.

Reaction score
I have a machine that I removed a NVIDIA card from so I could use the intel graphics, I recently installed a 4th camera to my system now I am having BI go black during clip playback and hanging screens....The computer is acting as though it is starving for RAM...but it shouldn't be.. Is there a way to know which motherboards support the simultaneous use of intel hd graphics and NVIDA graphics cards? or do just have to install it and try it? My cpu usage stays around 15 to 20%.......

I am using a HP Power Pavilion 580-023W i5-7400 with 8 gb ram ....... the nvidia card I removed is 3GB Gorce.... I still have it and can reinstall it but I am wondering what is causing my recent hangs....... sometimes requiring a force shut down....

Thoughts ideas?

Thanks to Andy at Empire for the fast shipping on the Dahua starlight and brackets......
Also curious if the Nelly doorbell is available anywhere else as an unbranded camera?

nejakejnick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is no way to know. Install it and try it. A friend was able to use both graphics even on the cheapest MB.