Dowgrade firmware v5.3.6

ramleaf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my new DS-2CD2135F-IS but it came with the firmware 5.3.6, unfortunately I can't get it work with my Qihan NVR. I think it's the new firmware because the others have the version 5.2.5 and 5.2.0, and works perfect.

On the NVR the camera gets connected via ONVIF, but I get a black screen on the camera channel.

Any chance to downgrade to v5.3.0?

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Downgrading firmware is not a straightforward process anymore as it once was, especially if you have a Chinese regioned camera. However, I don't think that's your issue, it's likely a connection or authentication problem perhaps. You say the camera gets connected via ONVIF, but is it truly connected or is that just the protocol being used to connect?

Some troubleshooting steps to help narrow it down:

1) are you able to connect to the camera directly over your network? (Web browser)

2) correct username/password? Newer Chinese cams are being shipped with default PWs of 123456789abc. If the camera has no default password, SADP will show the camera as not being activated and upon selecting the camera will ask you to enter a password for the first time.

3) is the camera recognized by the latest version of SADP over your network? SADP is the holy grail of Hikvision device visibility. In other words, if SADP can't see it, nothing can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramleaf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I can access the camera via the web browser and works perfect.
It came with the password 123456789abc but I changed it.

If I put a wrong camera password on the NVR I get "Unconnected", so it's not an authentication problem.

The strange thing is that "Video Loss" message disappears from the camera channel when I get "Connected" on the camera setup page. So I think it's a codec issue.

The camera has the same configuration as the others (same resolution, fps, bitrate, etc) and of course the video encoding is H.264 (although H.265 is available on this camera)

Maybe the H.264+ on the newer firmwares is the problem?

Anyways, how I can downgrade to 5.3.0 or lower?

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my new DS-2CD2135F-IS but it came with the firmware 5.3.6, unfortunately I can't get it work with my Qihan NVR. I think it's the new firmware because the others have the version 5.2.5 and 5.2.0, and works perfect.

On the NVR the camera gets connected via ONVIF, but I get a black screen on the camera channel.

Any chance to downgrade to v5.3.0?

When you talk about 5.2.0 and 5.2.5 I would guess you are talking about 2xx2 cameras which are not the same as these 2xx5

Does video work on the 2xx5 if you use an ONVIF application on the PC ok?

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well you've ruled out pretty much everything, codec does sound like the possibility.

Again, like I said, if it's a Chinese camera, if you're expecting a turn-key solution, you won't find one. You can't simply put a different firmware version on the camera. It's not that simple. The web interface has checks to prevent you from doing this, which leaves you to TFTP recovery. Chinese cams will also flip back to all Chinese if you start tampering with the firmware. Which, since you're not using a Hikvision recorder, I suppose doesn't matter all that much. But personally, I wouldn't mess with it. It is not worth it. There is a 5.3.0 to 5.2.5 downgrader on here, but result are quite varied and as newer hardware and firmware is released, its reliability will only go down. Cameras manufactured after 12/2015 cannot go any lower than 5.2.5 regardless of what it shipped with. The checksum verification was changed internally in the boot loader, so that's the absolute lowest you can go if at all.

If you are still insistent on dropping the firmware to a lower version at the risk of being unable to humanly understand the web interface, search "Hikvision 5.3.0 to 5.2.5 downgrader" and everything you need to flip it over should be included. There is also the added disclaimer that it is untested on 5.3.x cameras, so use at your own risk.

At any point, have you checked to see if your recorder has a firmware update? That would be the best way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramleaf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Enabler: Yes, the other cameras are 2CD2032. I know they are not the same but I don't think there is a difference in the firmware with regard to the codec.
I've tried with ONVIF Device Manager software and works fine the video stream.

@CoreyX64: I'm waiting the response from Qihan as the supplier of the camera said that doesn't have a firmware to make the downgrade.
Anyways the likelihood that they may have a new firmware is not much, otherwise it would be available for download on the website.

As you said, I don't care too much if the camera flip back to all Chinese because I will not have the region problem with this NVR.

I will try that 5.3.0 to 5.2.5 downgrader if there is no new firmware for the NVR.

Thanks for your time guys.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I know they are not the same but I don't think there is a difference in the firmware with regard to the codec.
You have already seen that the codec is different as it has the H.265 option, which the 2CD2032 cameras do not, they are limited to H.264
The 2xx5 cameras have a quite different SoC (CPU + video processor / DSP, it's the HiSilicon 3516a) so it's not surprising there could be differences in compatibility.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You have already seen that the codec is different as it has the H.265 option, which the 2CD2032 cameras do not, they are limited to H.264
The 2xx5 cameras have a quite different SoC (CPU + video processor / DSP, it's the HiSilicon 3516a) so it's not surprising there could be differences in compatibility.
Codecs are in part software, and in part hardware in terms of functionality. While say, in Windows, you can always change up codecs. XP systems for example out of the box can't play modern file formats (remember when QuickTime MOV was the industry standard?). But, throw on VLC or some other player, and voila, it works, yet the underlying system (XP) is the same. Embedded devices don't have that luxury, and are often hardware limited. As @alastairstevenson said, just because both cameras are part of the Raptor 2 series, the internals are not the same. Even with the same version of firmware, the featureset/capabilites can be significantly different by model. Clearly there is a reason for the "+" in the codec name and your NVR apparently doesn't tolerate it. I haven't had the time to do extensive research on the latest Hikvision changes besides what affected newer systems I am installing, so I can't elaborate further to help you, but you're on the right track in terms of finding the problem. I'm just not sure that the firmware will make a difference as generally since 5.2.0 there have been absolutely no major changes or improvements besides regional restrictions growing stronger. As long as you understand the risks, go for it. Just learn to live and breathe TFTP, that is your knight in shining armor with Hikvision devices.

I Have read firmware changelogs over the last year or two and do remember at one time H.264+ was implemented on 2xx2 devices at some point which was an improvement in bandwidth consumption and compression over H.264. That does seem to imply that the codec change is in the firmware, and that very well could be the case. I guess trial and error is okay, even if the seller can't give you firmware downgrades, if they can at the very least supply you with English firmware of what is on it now, that's definitely a spectacular fallback knowing that no matter how bad you screw it up, you can always bring it back to its original state as purchased.

...Starbursts come in Watermelon and Strawberry. I like strawberry but not watermelon. On the outside, both are pink and square, but on the inside, they're not the same flavor. That's how I see those 2 camera models side by side. That's the best I can come up with.

Last edited by a moderator: