downgrade windows 10 to 7 pro

micropone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
im done with windows 10 pro.. the services for BI doesn't work.. I had another clean win 7 pro 500gb hard drive..

any disadvantages on downgrading? besides moving the lic file etc..

Plus win 10 keeps trying to connect outside of my network.. even with they're whole network mask blocked.. so I thought!!!

thanks in advance

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 so that I could use the BI hardware acceleration, which I never did because right after that, a bunch of the BI releases had issues, so I never upgraded. I hate Win10, mine is always trying to connect to places it should not given that the only thing it does is run BI. I finally put an entry in my firewall that just outright blocks all internet based communications from that machine. I also got tired of fighting with the forced updates. I am thinking about rolling it back to Win7 myself.

Enrique

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Win7 won't let a service access hardware acceleration. You'd need to implement some hacks to have BI run in the user space and start automatically on reboot.

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, which is why I updated to Win10 to get around that issue.

micropone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
dang..... i have a pfsense router with very strict firewall rules... i'd see random ip address trying to connect outbound..

micropone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Win7 won't let a service access hardware acceleration. You'd need to implement some hacks to have BI run in the user space and start automatically on reboot.
currently I have it running minized and live view paused.. I only access via remote desktop to admin the computer and UI3 beta to view cameras. its really headless i7 5gen dell 7040 cpu with 10 cameras 10%

So i dont care about the services now.. I just want the 3tb nas hard out of it.. LOL.. all my recordings go to my 4 bay qnap

Enrique

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
currently I have it running minized and live view paused.. I only access via remote desktop.. its really headless i7 5gen dell 7040 cpu with 10 cameras 10%
The hacks I was referring to were about how to get BI to run minimized automatically/unattended after a power outage or other system reboot.

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have used pfsense in the past...it should do what you want with regard to blocking....about the headless server...I currently run it with the windows service and the BI gui up on the monitor. The gui has a habit of hanging every day or so which would not be good if it was also responsible for doing the recording as it would be in a configuration that you described "currently I have it running minized and live view paused" without the windows service running.

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The hacks I was referring to were about how to get BI to run minimized automatically/unattended after a power outage or other system reboot.
That can be done but is not really a good idea because the UI seems to hang (at least for me) every few days and when that happens, I would imagine the recording would stop also since you no longer would have the window service running in the background doing the recording.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess this is like politics with radically opposing views. I vehemently hate win 10, and have found 7 to be very stable. I occasionally have to do some work on a couple of win 10 machines and walk away every time mumbling how I hate 10. I bought 2 used machines in December and made sure they came with 7. I'm noticing that on ebay, with the same hardware the win 7 machines are selling at a higher price. Without any knowledge whatever, I'm suspecting that the official refurbishers are getting some kind of financial incentive to "upgrade" the boxes they sell to 10.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Except when you're wrong :lol:

I hated Win8 and find Win10 to be even worse. My BI machine is Win7-Pro/64 and will stay that way until support is gone. After that I may go to Linux on everything. MS is getting way out of hand..."Windows is a service", yeah, right.

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running 8.1 on my WmC server which is AMD.
I am thinking about combining BI and WMC in one i5 6500 machine.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am running 8.1 on my WmC server which is AMD.
I am thinking about combining BI and WMC in one i5 6500 machine.
Dont...blue iris should run on a dedicated machines...
regardless, what does that have to do with the question...

FoulFoot

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven't had any serious problems since switching to Win 10. BlueIris works fine. While I can't stand all the Metro crap, the underlying operating system is quite stable and performs incrementally better than Win 7 did. Besides which, Microsoft will shortly stop supporting Win 7 -- two years from now, you're not going to get any security updates whatsoever.

Some tips to make Win 10 work better:

-- Classic Shell: Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements. A must-have, and it's free. Removes (hides) Metro and makes your desktop & start menu look like Win 7.

-- Windowblinds: WindowBlinds : Software from Stardock . Lets you "skin" Windows to, among other looks, restore the Windows Aero Glass appearance (I can't stand the flat style Win 10 introduced; looks like Win 3.1 to me). This is just cosmetic, and does cost $10 or thereabouts.

-- Hide Cortana. You can't disable it, but you can easily Hide it by right-clicking the taskbar, select the Cortana menu.

-- Do not try and upgrade Win 7 to Win 10. I did so (on four machines), and each one had issues. As has been the case for thirty years, a fresh clean install is your friend. If you upgraded your Win 7 license key when it was free, your key has been registered with Microsoft and Win 10 will activate without problems.

-- No idea how good or bad Windows Defender is; I always recommend going with a mainstream third-party antivirus & firewall. I use Norton, which was re-written a few years ago and no longer hogs system resources.

I can't verify whether Win 10 is "connecting to places it shouldn't"... conspiracy theories aside, I personally don't care if it's calling home to Microsoft and/or updating itself. Rightfully so, Microsoft is tired of dealing with people who won't/can't update their machines, and then complain when said machine gets turned into a zombie server for some Ukrainians. Therefore, they've made the update process (and metrics collection) transparent. /rant off

Again, to reiterate, I haven't experienced any functional or reliability issues switching to Win 10; my system is very stable. BlueIris works as well as it always has (I run it as a service).

Scott