Dragged in kicking and screaming by Mat200

Jose R.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fellas!

I'll keep it brief. I've been trying to buy a box setup for about 5 years now (new house, renovations, never pulled the trigger with everything going on). Everything from local alarm depots having deals on Hikvision bundles, to the consumer stuff on sales and such. After a few run-ins with Mat200 over on another forum regarding the consumer goods, he planted the seed to just build my own BI setup.

I resisted. But then I saw the advantages. Coupled with my skills, past PC builds and expertise in electronics, it makes no sense to not just do it this way. I was using time as a constraint (which it is) but to hell with it. If I don't start, I'll never finish. So here I am.

The plan is a BI build with some quality used equipment. I have a 2,800 square foot residence with a lot of corners and re-entrant walled areas. So I need a lot of cameras to cover it all. The house proper will for sure need about 10 cameras. Garage and shed should get one, and for sure a license plate reader aiming down the street (I live on the end of a cul-de-sac and my house faces right down the only street access). So a single camera out by the sidewalk would do a great job of getting people coming up and driving away.

I also live on a golf course so good coverage on the back fence would be required for fence jumpers/window breakers.

Likely looking at 12 to 14 cameras.

I am a CAD operator by trade so future build threads should be fun with plenty of floor plans, diagrams, etc.

So first order of business is the PC. I've been eyeballing i7-4790/16GB machines. Is that enough, or do I have to step up to 6th gen stuff?

Should we start that conversation here or do I head over to the hardware section?

Thanks, all! This should be fun!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Fellas!

I'll keep it brief. I've been trying to buy a box setup for about 5 years now (new house, renovations, never pulled the trigger with everything going on). ..

Thanks, all! This should be fun!
Welcome @Jose R.

Good to have you join the fun. Do take some time to learn this, you can always start with one camera and test it out.

Jose R.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome @Jose R.

Good to have you join the fun. Do take some time to learn this, you can always start with one camera and test it out.
Basically the plan. Hence the PC shopping. For the record I've read your 51 page Cliff Notes, and gone thru the Wiki on here. So much to need to know but getting there.