Drill bit size to bore hole for Cat-6 ethernet cable through stucco wall

PRC_Save_Me

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, I'll be mounting a Dahua turret camera with Dahua junction box to a stucco wall. What is the the minimum drill bit size needed to bore a hole for an cat6 ethernet cable (just the cable, no, RJ-45 pin). I measured the outside diameter of my cable and it is about 6mm (slightly less than a ¼ inch). Will a 1/4" drill bit serve me fine for my installation? I don't wish to make the hole any bigger than it needs to be.

Thanks

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I measured the outside diameter of my cable and it is about 6mm (slightly less than a ¼ inch).
That suggests a 6mm (or 1/4 inch) drill will work.
But I don't really understand the question.
You have the cable - and you've actually measured it's diametert - and you want to know how big a hole to drill?

PRC_Save_Me

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, thank you. I'm asking here for confirmation as this is my first time doing such a project and I'm not an experienced DIYer. I wish to buy the right masonry bit as opposed to spending money on an expensive masonry bit set that will never see use.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, thank you. I'm asking here for confirmation as this is my first time doing such a project and I'm not an experienced DIYer. I wish to buy the right masonry bit as opposed to spending money on an expensive masonry bit set that will never see use.
I have a set of DeWalt hammer drill masonry bits (3/16" - 1/2") from Home Depot. They're $25 for the set. They work fine in a non-hammer drill too.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make the hole slightly bigger than the cable, so you have room to put sealant around the cable exiting the hole.

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I always pass cable through walls using plastic electrical conduit, usually 22mm. That way if I ever had to recable I can pass a RJ45 terminated cable through if necessary as well as pass additional cables such as alarm wires. I then use a small junction box to fix over the hole and whatever conduit needed from there. If you use this method you would only need one drill bit. I got a cheap masonry bit from eBay but had to get one with a step down shank (13mm) to fit into a half inch drill chuck.