Drilling through exterior wall to install camera

sayluv

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi-

I installed a security camera above our garage after drilling through the exterior wall. Everything was easy and went great.

I don't have a power source for where I want to add another camera so I just ordered a PEO injector (will see if that even works today with my Defender 2K Camera). I would like to install our camera on the outside corner of the room in this picture at the the top of the window approximately. This is the lower level our our home and as far as I know there shouldn't be any plumbing or much of anything other than the outlet in the picture.

I am a bit afraid to drill through anything but I just want to get this done. If you have to drill through this wall where would you recommend aiming for or where would you recommend staying away from? I think the closer I am to the outlet the better because that is where I will have the POE injector plugged in, but really dont want to hit a wire or anything. There is another outlet 5 feet or so to the right and same for the left. So I am assuming the wires are run horizontally at the level of the outlets? Any tips o recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi-

I installed a security camera above our garage after drilling through the exterior wall. Everything was easy and went great.

I don't have a power source for where I want to add another camera so I just ordered a PEO injector (will see if that even works today with my Defender 2K Camera). I would like to install our camera on the outside corner of the room in this picture at the the top of the window approximately. This is the lower level our our home and as far as I know there shouldn't be any plumbing or much of anything other than the outlet in the picture.

I am a bit afraid to drill through anything but I just want to get this done. If you have to drill through this wall where would you recommend aiming for or where would you recommend staying away from? I think the closer I am to the outlet the better because that is where I will have the POE injector plugged in, but really dont want to hit a wire or anything. There is another outlet 5 feet or so to the right and same for the left. So I am assuming the wires are run horizontally at the level of the outlets? Any tips o recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Hi @sayluv

I'm not a fan of using AC/DC adapters indoors and then drilling a hole to pass the power outdoors.

A lot depends on how the walls are put together, insulation, exterior wall wrapping, etc...

If you have a crawl space I would route a cat6/5e cable that way instead to a conduit and then up the wall to a junction box.

If you have siding, running the cable under the siding would be a good option.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, I wouldn't be doing this, you can open up a whole can of worms involving water getting into the house. Hire a certified low voltage electrician to run an ethernet cable the correct way.

sayluv

n3wb
Reaction score
Can't tell you exactly where to aim for, however, I would recommend that you invest in a stud finder similar to this Zircon MultiScanner HD800 1 Step Multi-Function Wall Scanner-66230 - The Home Depot. The cost of drilling through a pipe or cable will cost you a lot more than this.
Thanks. I need to rethink this anyhow. I would like to run the entire wire inside the wall but not possible with that window there. I have a $40 zircon but you are right, cheaper to buy this than mess something up. plus im sure I will use it again.

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Inside walls are not too bad to fish with a accessible crawlspace or basement and attic. Exterior walls are a whole different beast. No real ideas from your pic but you have to be able to visualize the framing of the house to be good as fishing wire.

Reaction score
what was your result? please do share with the rest of the folks here that my encounter the same issues/resolution you experienced.

Most likely, the electrical runs horizontal to some point and then up. Or continues on to the next outlet. Do not fear what's behind drywall. Just be prepared and be safe about it. I currently have swiss cheesed my drywall in my walls and ceiling to run tons of Cat6, alarm wire, speaker system, etc. Only way to find out what's behind any drywall is to CAREFULLY penetrate the 1/2'" depth of your drywall (or could be 3/4" depending on installation material) and then with a non-metal probe, dig into the hole to see what's back there.
What I did was cut 4"x4" hole gently with a drywall saw to REALLY see what's going on in there. Yes, drywall patching to do. But come on... it's just drywall :)
Any penetration above a window or door will be guesswork as they will have thick beefy headers.

sayluv

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info everyone. I still haven't done it because I am afraid to mess something up. I should probably hire someone that has experience.