Driving myself mad over PoE for Dahua Camera From Outdoor AP

Reaction score
First Post so, hi to you all!

I'm probably been overthinking this and driving myself mad in the process so I thought i'd ask before I end up shorting out all my equipment!

Got a Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS on its way from EmpiretecAndy (thanks Andy!). As the garage I am mounting the camera is just outside of the range of my home wifi and with no possibilty of installing an ethernet cable to the garage, I need to install an outdoor antenna on to the garage to receive the wifi signal from my home and would like to use the PoE in the Access Point to power th Dahua camera, i'm looking at getting this CPE510 | 5GHz 300Mbps 13dBi Outdoor CPE | TP-Link United Kingdom - its similar in spec to the Ubiquiti NSM5 (and also similarly not entirely clear on 803.af conformity). Here's where I started to go mad.........!

Am I right in thinking that using the Passive PoE Pasthrough from the secondary Lan on the CPE510 will allow me to not only power the Dahua but also allow video to be trasmitted to the CPE and thus back to my home?

I ask because having read so much about PoE and this or that Access Point, I've confused myself and no longer trust my thinking, having poured over the NSM5 and the CPE, I'm doubting myself and the cloudiness of 803.af!

Should I be looking at something else perhaps?

Thank you gentleman, any and all help appreciated!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got a Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS on its way from EmpiretecAndy (thanks Andy!). As the garage I am mounting the camera is just outside of the range of my home wifi and with no possibilty of installing an ethernet cable to the garage,..
Welcome Boris,

Please describe why there is "no possibilty of installing an ethernet cable to the garage".

Reaction score
Hi, pleased to be here,

It's completly surrounded by concrete and tarmac unfortunately, well, not so unfortunate perhaps, at least we have plenty of parking space!

The garage is detached from the house........., it's a hurdle in my CCTV aspirations :banghead:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, pleased to be here,

It's completly surrounded by concrete and tarmac unfortunately, well, not so unfortunate perhaps, at least we have plenty of parking space!

The garage is detached from the house........., it's a hurdle in my CCTV aspirations :banghead:
Is there power in the garage?

You can see if a powerline ethernet adapter will work.

Reaction score
Yes, there is power. I've read on the forum that power line adapters may or may not work depending upon distance and the electrical circuit the garage is on. I'd sort of dismissed them as hit or miss. They would be easier to install than an outdoor antenna, got an injector already........, no real way to tell if they might be a viable option other than to try I suppose. Cost is about the same as the antenna.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ha!!

Oh me of little faith.........! I popped out first-thing this morning and bought myself a Netgear PLP-1000 Powerline adapter convinced it was a complete waste of time but hey, its Sunday, lets give it a go.

IT WORKS!!!! I can't believe it, it works and so far its working perfectly!! Plug and Play. I am so pleased, thank you Mat200 for taking the time to answer my post and especially in giving me a simple solution without which I would have ending up going down an unnecessarily complex route.

Thank you so much, I am extremely happy! :)

Guido87

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ha!!

Oh me of little faith.........! I popped out first-thing this morning and bought myself a Netgear PLP-1000 Powerline adapter convinced it was a complete waste of time but hey, its Sunday, lets give it a go.

IT WORKS!!!! I can't believe it, it works and so far its working perfectly!! Plug and Play. I am so pleased, thank you Mat200 for taking the time to answer my post and especially in giving me a simple solution without which I would have ending up going down an unnecessarily complex route.

Thank you so much, I am extremely happy! :)
I have the a46 ptz indoor cam. And a Asus rt-ac86u router...with 3 anteness. I use the a46 over Wi-Fi. It works...But is know only 5meters from the router at the same level. I notice that this cam always is the slowest... with loading. The main problem with ipcam's and wifi is the response time and the continuous data flow... the wifi signal is just not stable enough for good security use. Like @EMPIRETECANDY always says you can use Wi-Fi for indoor use with baby cam. So I have pulled utp wires even through the garden.... you always need power anyway.

The powerline adapter is a good solution I think. But I don't have one. But it's a wired connection and power cable are thicker then the utp cables and always full copper.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I have the a46 ptz indoor cam. And a Asus rt-ac86u router...with 3 anteness. I use the a46 over Wi-Fi. It works...But is know only 5meters from the router at the same level. I notice that this cam always is the slowest... with loading. The main problem with ipcam's and wifi is the response time and the continuous data flow... the wifi signal is just not stable enough for good security use. Like @EMPIRETECANDY always says you can use Wi-Fi for indoor use with baby cam. So I have pulled utp wires even through the garden.... you always need power anyway.

The powerline adapter is a good solution I think. But I don't have one. But it's a wired connection and power cable are thicker then the utp cables and always full copper.
Most dahua wifi cams not support POE