Dropping frames / skipping ahead

ChrisDav

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I have a dedicated BI computer i7-3770 with 8 gig of ram.

I have 3 Hikvision cams connected to a BV-Tech 8 port 10/100 POE switch and a wifi Foscam ip cam.

Computer is wired directly to ATT Router / Modem (Pace 5268ac). BV-Tech swich is also wired to the ATT Router.

The videos are choppy and skip frames (sometimes 2-3 seconds). This is true if i'm reviewing recorded video, watching live, or log in to the cam directly on internet explorer. I'm trying to diagnose my network issue and could use some help.

I believe my issue is with the switch itself or the way it's interfacing with the Router. For example... when I connect my computer straight to the Router I get my full 50mbps down and 6 up, 20ms ping. I connected the computer to the switch and then the switch to the router and it then has issues. It will still get the same download, upload, and ping, but takes forever to respond. If i enter a URL and hit enter it takes a few seconds to actually start loading as opposed to loading immediately if the computer is connected straight to the router.

The Foscam is connected to the wifi. All cameras are loaded into BI. The Foscam has no dropped frames and is smooth video wearas the cameras that are connected through the switch all have issues.

I would appreciate any help on how I can begin to diagnose the issues.

Also, would it be beneficial to put the computer and all the cameras all on the same switch? Can they talk directly to each other and bypass going through the router that way?

Thanks.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can, connect the pc to the same switch as the cameras. This will bypass the router...
If you determine the switch is defective these are a good alternative.
4 port poe MANAGED + gigabit only $54 with promo code 030948HR06
ZyXEL GS1200-5HP, 5-port GbE Web Managed PoE Switch-Newegg.com
8 port poe (you need one to connect to the network so only 7 usable for cameras) only $99
Amazon.com: ZyXEL 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed PoE Switch with 70 Watt Budget - Fanless Design [GS1900-8HP]: Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ChrisDav

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was trying to diagnose this remotely so that wasn't going well. But once I got home I put the cameras and the computer on the same switch. That helped out with the frames dropping. But then I was having a very unreliable connection and wasn't able to remote in to it.

So the Bv Tech router has 8 poe ports and 1 up link port. I moved the cable that goes to the router from the up link port to one of the 8 regular ports on the switch and that solved all the issues.

So I do believe it's an issue with that switch in general or a faulty unlink port just in mine.

Regardless I will be ordering that 8 port ZYXEL And returning this one.

THANKS!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was trying to diagnose this remotely so that wasn't going well. But once I got home I put the cameras and the computer on the same switch. That helped out with the frames dropping. But then I was having a very unreliable connection and wasn't able to remote in to it.

So the Bv Tech router has 8 poe ports and 1 up link port. I moved the cable that goes to the router from the up link port to one of the 8 regular ports on the switch and that solved all the issues.

So I do believe it's an issue with that switch in general or a faulty unlink port just in mine.

Regardless I will be ordering that 8 port ZYXEL And returning this one.

THANKS!
Great, two things to note with the GS1900-8HP zyxel (not applicable to the other model)...
It comes with a static ip of 192.168.1.1 ..you must first connect it to a pc and change the ip address so it doesn't clash with your router and ensure that it is within the routers subnet...
second, the poe has two modes, classification and consumption, you must set it to consumption and it will only power 4 cams since its reserving power..-CUSTOMER VALUE-
for reasons only God knows, they default it to classification mode..

ChrisDav

n3wb
Reaction score
I will definitely look into that.

I'm going to end up with 6-7 cameras. Is there any downside to having an 8 port POE connected to a gigabit switch which is then connected to the router as opposed to getting something like a 16 port switch with 8 poe?

I need to be able to connect a computer and a nas on the same switch as the cameras.