DS-2CD2032F-I 3MP Bitrate and resolution

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any advice on the Bitrate and resolution of what I should keep the camera at I have a 500 gb hard drive and two cameras recording to the same hard drive through smb via motion detection.

2048 x 1536 seems to suit my property better this is what I have it at.
Bitrate is at 4096 @ 15 fps

I am a little unsure to put it on continuous record and how long it would last or if these setting or even good enough any advice on best picture set-up fps bitrate tweaks etc?

* Also anyone used blue iris on motion detect it does not pre record so for example a car is recorded in the middle of the screen rather than the beginning like its recording to late?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any advice on the Bitrate and resolution of what I should keep the camera at I have a 500 gb hard drive and two cameras recording to the same hard drive through smb via motion detection.

2048 x 1536 seems to suit my property better this is what I have it at.
Bitrate is at 4096 @ 15 fps

I am a little unsure to put it on continuous record and how long it would last or if these setting or even good enough any advice on best picture set-up fps bitrate tweaks etc?

* Also anyone used blue iris on motion detect it does not pre record so for example a car is recorded in the middle of the screen rather than the beginning like its recording to late?
This settings are fine...for blue iris to pre record, you need to set pretigger frames in the record tab...remember these are frames not seconds so if your camera is set to 15fps and you want 3 seconds, set it to 45.

MaxIcon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's how much time you can store at 4096 kbps constant recording, fixed bit rate:

4096 kbps (bits) = 512 kBps (bytes)
512 kBps x 60 = 31 MB per minute
31 MBps x 60 = 1.8 GB per hour

So, 500 GB will record 278 hour, or 11.5 days. If you've got your OS on the same HD, use the free space to figure out how much time you can record.

VBR may give more, depending on how complex the scene is and how much motion is seen.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^It won't be that long as the actual formatted capacity of a 500gb drive is less than 500gb.

If you want to play around and see how long you can record for at what settings and etc. Download Hikvision tools, there's a tool in there which will give you recording time for a given HDD size or required recording time and needed HDD capacity. You can add cameras individually with varying bitrates and eta. Very handy tool.

MaxIcon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, this is the difference between base 2 (used for bandwidth and native data calculations) and base 10 (used for HD marketing, because it's bigger and sounds like more space), and I mixed the two.

500 GB (base 10) is about 465 GiB (base 2), and both are the same amount of data. Using GiB will give 10.8 days instead of 11.5 days. Either one gets you in the ballpark.