DS-2CD2032F-I POE failing, replacement camera?

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Noticed I wasn't able to access my 5 year old bullet DS-2CD2032F-I camera via the Hik app. Checked Blue Iris and confirmed the camera was offline. Power cycled the camera and and it worked for a few hours only to have it go offline again. Switched POE ports on the switch, same problem. Guessing since the 'cigar' shaped POE assembly is inside the very hot attic, it's failing.

Anyone else have the Hikvision bullet camera POE modules fail on them?

I'm thinking of using the 12V port with an ethernet power splitter but also thinking maybe I'll just upgrade. I'm not seeing 12mm lensed turrets though (this is needed to get enough resolution to read plates on my street in the daytime).

If I decide to replace the camera, what would you recommend? I'd like to have the POE circuit be part of the camera body itself so I'm not faced with the same problem in 5 years.

Thanks,
Dave

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Start here:
Thanks, I'll take a look at the examples in that document.

BTW, why am I not seeing longer lenses in turrets? I just spent time in the IPCamtalk store, aliexpress at Hikvision and Dahua sellers, and the only way to get a long lens is if I buy an variable focal length camera. What happened to f 6 and f12 fixed lenses?

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess it's not the POE adapter on the camera but the camera itself. I installed power injector adapters and hooked the camera up to a 12V supply. Worked for a while and just now I checked it and it's offline. Definitely getting a new camera now.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, this is weird. I swapped out the camera that was failing with another that I bought at the same time, but never installed. This second camera was 2.8mm, not 6mm, so I opened the two up, swapped the lenses, put the 'never used' camera up and it was working for days but now is offline. I wonder if I have an ethernet cable problem. Not looking forward to replacing it but that's what I'll need to do as I don't know why these are failing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, this is weird. I swapped out the camera that was failing with another that I bought at the same time, but never installed. This second camera was 2.8mm, not 6mm, so I opened the two up, swapped the lenses, put the 'never used' camera up and it was working for days but now is offline. I wonder if I have an ethernet cable problem. Not looking forward to replacing it but that's what I'll need to do as I don't know why these are failing.
most likely a bad crimp.