DS-2CD2042WD-I Reboot Loops

Ryanmt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've ended up with 2 IP cameras, I'm unsure of their history so I don't know how they ended up bricked.

They both in the same kind of loop, they start up. Register on 192.0.0.64 then briefly 192.168.1.64 according to wire shark before rebooting again. No access via the web console and no DCHP server starts up. They are connected via a switch (not at the same time!)

I downloaded a more recent firmware 5.5.0 from the Hikvision EU site and flashed over tftp with no issues but the cameras still boot loop.

I checked the reset buttons are physically working OK and are not jammed.

Are they toast? I couldn't find a CN version of the firmware to try incase they are grey imports. I am based in the UK.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Are they toast?
Unlikely - probably Chinese cameras bricked with EN/ML firmware.
I'm always on the lookout for 'spares / repairs' cameras, but they are quite sparse on eBay. I just got outbid for a QVIS set it would have been interesting to play with.
If you decide you want some beer money for them, I'd be pleased to contribute.

Ryanmt

n3wb
Reaction score
Ideally I would like to fix them if possible :) Do you have any recommendations for a firmware I can try to get them working. I cant find the R6 CN firmware anywhere.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing R6 CN firmware - though it's not something I'd go looking for - and I don't have any stashed away.
I you want to take some time to hook up to the serial console, that would give a pretty good indication of why there is a bootloop.

Ryanmt

n3wb
Reaction score
Whats required for a serial console, is that via the LAN or direct connection to the board?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of items are required from your favourite on-line store :
A serial TTL to USB convertor, such as a PL2303HX-based one (eg 'for Arduino'). This is not RS232, it's TTL signal levels.
A wired '4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH connector' usually sold in 10-packed.
And PuTTY to talk serial comms.
The connector is unfortunately on the underside of the system board on those bullets, not very convenient.

Ryanmt

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess ill still need to source the firmware from somewere/body though. I just built a quick scraper to try out all of the possible download URLs on http://www1.hikvision.com/cn but there are no R6 firmwares to be found :-( Annoyingly the pages that indicate you can download the firmware for this camera results in a collection of E0, R0, R2 and G0 firmwares.

Ryanmt

n3wb
Reaction score
Just noticed the full S/N come through on wireshark and it seems its a BBWR which means its not a China model? Maybe its just toast then.

Attachments

Ryanmt

n3wb
Reaction score
As i hit submit the damn thing stopped rebooting and I managed to access the webconsole.. weird!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Way back there were some posts about instability problems which turned out to be associated with an ipv6 environment, though I don't recall the details, possibly linked to a specific firmware version.