DS-2CD2132-I & DS-2CD2032-I reboot problem

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To eliminate PoE from the equation, try plugging it into 12VDC and see if the problem continues or not.

Buggah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried without PoE, same result.

As far as I can say now, I think it is something triggered by my Fritzbox 7490, everytime I connect whatever PC of Laptop to my LAN the cams reboot, it's not just the laptop I thought at the beginning of this threat. When I hook the cams up directly, they don't reboot.

Maybe the newer firmware will have some positive results, but I haven't applied that yet.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So was the effect of shutting down the Bonjour service on the laptop apparently improving one of the cameras a red herring?
On the other Windows 7 PC - by any chance does it also have the Bonjour service running?

It's quite an unusual problem, it will be interesting to see what you find eventually.

To get a more complete picture - a capture of the traffic seen on the camera itself would be better, but that's not so easy in a domestic environment, with switches nicely segregating the traffic between devices, no port replication facilities.
A while back, when studying how Surveillance Station on my QNAP NAS was interacting incorrectly with certain ONVIF-compliant cameras, I bought a second-hand hub (not a switch) so I could sniff all the traffic to and from the camera with a PC. A bit cumbersome, but did the job. Unfortunately QNAP didn't seem interested in the analysis.

Buggah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, currently I'm kinda running out of ideas. Disabling the bonjour eventually didn;t improve anything.
I'm getting the feeling it has something do to with the Fritzbox, It started the end of last year and that is also when Fritzbox released a new firmware. It's just a long shot but I don't know. I'm thinking of things to check/try out but i'm running out of options.

Currently; as soon as I start any Windows pc, both cams crash and I'm more and more thinking about, just leaving it be. I'm just happy that it's not my prime security system that can be blinded for 30sec by sending some network broadcast.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
An off-the-wall suggested cause-and-effect experiment, with a little caution required.
On the assumption that you are not accessing the cameras from an outside network (eg internet, so traffic would have to pass through the Fritzbox as default gateway) and knowing you have static IP addresses on the cameras, so no dependence on DHCP, and no dependence on UPnP:

In the camera config screens, security, it's possible to create an IP address blocklist. And actually a whitelist, though that's a bit more risky.
I believe the Fritzbox IP address could be added to that list without any major adverse effects. If the camera has an internet time server configured, that will be blocked, so time may drift a little.
But it might be able to test your theory that the Fritzbox is somehow implicated.
I'm not so sure about what would happen if multicasts were blocked, to kill the multicast DNS on 224.0.0.251, or even if the camera config would allow that. ARP is a broadcast, so that should still work.
Just a thought ...

Buggah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good news (kind of); The problem seems te be solved by totally disabling everything that has to do with IPv6 on my Fritzbox 7490 (firmware 6.20).

If you are interested, I used to use these setting;

IPv6 connection behaviour:
Always use a native IPv4 connection (recommended)
First a native IPv4 connection is established. If a 6RD server address was learned through DHCP, a 6RD tunnel is established. Otherwise the device will attempt to establish a native IPv6 connection (Dual Stack).
IPv6 DHCP:

Assign unique local addresses (ULA) as long as no IPv6 connection exists (recommended)

Assign DNS server, prefix (IA_PD) and IPv6 address (IA_NA)

Announce FRITZ!Box as DNS server via DHCPv6. Parts of the IPv6 network assigned by the Internet service provider are passed on to downstream routers. Devices in the home network are assigned an IPv6 address via DHCPv6.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done, you got there! I have to admit - IPv6 isn't something I've spent study time on. I know why it's needed, and that's about all.
I wonder how much commonality there is in the IP stack of Hikvision cameras and NVRs, maybe scope for the same effect.