DS-2CD2142FWD-IS Power Supply?

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought this camera sometime ago with the intent to connect it to my Hikvision NVR powered via PoE. However now I want to place it in a location that cannot be powered with the PoE. So I need to buy a 12 VDC power supply.

The specs say...

Power Supply: | 12 VDC ± 25%, PoE (802.3af Class3)
Power Consumption: | Max. 5W

Will any 12 volt power supply work or do I have to have a specific type?

LaurentR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "in a location that cannot be powered with the PoE", but if you mean that it cannot be connected directly to the NVR PoE, that's fine. You can still use a PoE injector like a TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet PoE Injector Adapter (TL-PoE150S). $15 on Amazon. Put it right next to whatever drives the Cat5 for the camera (i.e. router, AP, switch...) and you're done. No need to find the right AC adapter or figure out how to run the DC wire.

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your post... however I went ahead and bought the power supply suggested by Alistair. The location of the camera lends itself well to using a power supply, so I'm happy with this setup.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The PoE injector is a good and valid suggestion, though, and worth bearing in mind for any future changes.
Something to consider is how easy (physical access to what's powering it) would it be to power-cycle the camera if that is ever needed.

dany

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I Have similar camera
DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS.

In manual says: Use a power supply 110-240V~, 47-63Hz,
2A / 12 ---..., 5A (connector with positive central).

Do I must use 2A adapter for good working?
But it work at 1A i saw..
5A is maximum which go on this camera?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As the camera will consume less than 0.5A the 1A power supply is more than adequate. A 2A supply would be ok as well, just a bit wasteful.

dany

n3wb
Reaction score
Aha. Is that what's on the box
write 12V ---... 0.6A means that camera need only 0.6A to work (even in wireless mode)?