DS-2CD2142FWD-IS won't connect from afar

Ken B

n3wb
Reaction score
First off, I'm new to this IP camera thing. I feel I know enough to get things done, but not enough to solve problems when they arise.

I bought the camera and NVR models recommended by my local dealer who designed a package for me. I'm doing everything myself due to budget constraints.

I have a HIKVision DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR (PoE) and installed a 3TB HDD. I loaded the latest firmware from the manufacturer's website with no problems. I have a HIKVision 2CD2142FWD-IS camera I'm connecting to. I'm using a high grade CAT6 shielded cable and crimping my own high quality connectors intended for CAT6 cable. When I bench tested these two products together (about 2' apart) they synced easily and quickly. I then ran approximately 90 feet of cable, crimped connectors to each end, and discovered the two devices don't fully communicate. No matter which NVR PoE port I'm plugged into, it occasionally blinks/flashes (whereas before it was lit solid). The camera is receiving some power, but doesn't boot up the same as when bench tested. On power up, instead of the IR lights coming on fully, they appear dim and flash for awhile. The camera's internal green light blinks occasionally (whereas before it seemed to blink non-stop). When it got dark outside, the IR lights came on, appearing to look like normal operation. But, I can't get it to show up in the NVR software. I thought maybe the connectors I made were faulty, so I carefully remade one end (no change), then the other end (no change). I brought the camera back to bench test with the NVR and they both connected just fine.

At this point I'm wondering what's going on. Is my cable run too long? Do the NVR or camera need to be reset for some reason? Have I done something to the NVR to cause the ports to lose power? All ports behave the same way. (The only thing that comes to mind is I may have had the cable plugged into the NVR when I was making the other connector end, clipping and crimping. Could that have caused a short?) Am I simply too far, and need more power to the camera? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. I'm frustrated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Ken B Welcome to the forum. Did you use the 568 wiring standard when crimping? If yes try recrimping, you may simply have a bad connection. 90 feet is short and not the problem.

Ken B

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I wasn't familiar with 568 wiring terminology, so I googled and read about it. I quite possibly have made the end connectors incorrectly. The HIKVision NVR came with a pre-made RJ45 cable, probably meant to connect it to a router. I looked at the wiring pattern on the included cable and copied what they did, which is: w/orange, orange, w/blue, blue, w/green, green, w/brown, brown.

However, when I read about 568 wiring, it lists two primary ways, called 568A and 568B. Neither method match what I did. I feel this may be my problem?

The article I read said if there's no previous or existing wiring at the building of installation, the default wiring pattern is 568B. Another consideration is straight-through vs cross-over. My understanding is I should be using straight-through wiring.

Any suggestions on which wiring pattern to use? I'm wondering why my bench testing worked fine with a 2' cable, wired like I mentioned above.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Ken BYes, you should be using 568B straight. That is likely your problem. The standard prevents interference which is not noticeable on short runs. This is a very common mistake.

Ken B

n3wb
Reaction score
I changed the wiring connections to a 568B standard crimp and this immediately fixed my problem! :redface-new: Thank you! :triumphant:

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I changed the wiring connections to a 568B standard crimp and this immediately fixed my problem! :redface-new: Thank you! :triumphant:
Congrats on fixing your problem, I agree with fenderman you should be using 568B standard you should also be using test equipment to make sure there is no shorts or crossed pairs. I have had cables work even though they did not pass a cable test, What did you use to test the cable? This step is very important and not an option. Also CAT6 is way overkill for cameras and much harder to work with, Cameras on run @100MB/s so CAT5 is more then enough and much easier to work with, Just FYI

Ken B

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't know I could test the line. How does one do that? What brand equipment do you recommend?