DS-2CD2145F discrepancy

mixdio

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered two DS-2CD2145F-IS cameras from XinRay on AliExpress. One each of the 2.8mm and 4mm lens options. The vendor didn't have 4mm in stock and asked if I wanted 2.8mm instead. I asked for 4mm and said I would wait for new stock, which I was told would take a week. The cameras shipped a couple days later.

I expected the cameras to be identical except for the lens, but the camera with a 4mm lens was quite different: the PCB inside is half the size, missing the microSD card slot and reset button; the connector has an overmolded alarm connector instead of bare wires. The box is also full color rather than brown.

The firmware on the 4mm camera looks to be identical to the 2.8mm, and it seems to work OK. Except I can't do a button reset to change the default password, or use a microSD card.

I'm wondering if the vendor has sent me a different camera model with firmware modified to show it as a DS-2CD2145. Or are there different hardware revisions of the 2145? I'd like to file a transaction dispute, but I want a better idea of what I'm dealing with. Has anyone encountered this before?

Any insight would be appreciated.

I've attached two pictures: one of the cameras side-by-side (4mm on left / 2.8mm on right); one of a closeup of the 4mm PCB

Attachments

mixdio

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, I answered my own question about 5 minutes after posting this. It looks like there was a major hardware revision.

The SD card slot is on the lens assembly, under the plastic shroud. (picture attached)

The date for one camera is 05/2016 (full PCB) and the other 08/2016 (half PCB)

Attachments

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are different PCB types - but if both cameras have F in the serial, then they should both have SD card slots.

If the one without a SD card slot does indeed have F in the serial, then I'd check underneath the lens cover as there is a PCB there also.

I very much doubt they've changed the serials.

Changing the admin password shouldn't need a reset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've had this before with WR cameras. Hikvision UK told me they were the same as I wanted to know whether the same firmware was ok. It was like talking to a market stall holder in Hong Kong. Same same when they are both completely different. Actually a market stall holder is more useful than Hikvision UK support, so that's a bit unfair.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had this before with WR cameras. Hikvision UK told me they were the same as I wanted to know whether the same firmware was ok. It was like talking to a market stall holder in Hong Kong. Same same when they are both completely different. Actually a market stall holder is more useful than Hikvision UK support, so that's a bit unfair.
There is no WR version of these cameras - and the serials can't be changed in the same way as they can be on 2xx2 cameras so if it has F in the serial there should be a SD slot. If no F and that's what OP ordered then supplier sent wrong camera.

I do agree that Hikvision support even for products bought even through official channels is often pretty poor :)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know these are not WR, I just meant it's not a Chinese-market only thing.

Hikvision UK have no idea about their products. It's a complete joke. I trust the knowledge and members on this forum above them.

Ok took that off topic a bit.

As @Enabler said, check for the SD slot and the F. There is a chance the seller fleeced you. I ordered 3.6mm Dahua and got 2.8mm once and they knew they sent the wrong one too. But what am I gonna do? That's Aliexpress.

Last edited by a moderator:

mixdio

n3wb
Reaction score
My earlier response was held for moderation, but hasn't shown up yet. Trying again:

I found the SD card slot hidden under the plastic lens shroud. It looks like there was a major hardware revision. One camera has a date code of 05/2016 and the other 08/2016.

MarcN

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem with the DS-2CD2145F-IS. I ordered a 2.8mm and 4mm lens.
The 2.8mm comes in a full color box and the 4mm in a brown box.

On the 4mm I don't have 3-axis adjustment. Also I'm missing a green sensor, I think it's a light sensor.

Why is this different on the same model?

Left: 2.8mm
Right: 4mm

IMG_20161212_232351.jpg

IMG_20161212_232333.jpg

Last edited:

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
White box usually sign its US and upgradable cehck the serial numbers , that 4mm is 3 axis just turn it and it will swivel on base it just might be tight. The real difference for me is that one has a reset button which is nice to have.Green sensor is night day and they both will have as it will kick in when dark. I have the 3mp versions of both of these and there was a model change hence the two different looks, thought I had a clone but it wasn't.

MarcN

n3wb
Reaction score
that 4mm is 3 axis just turn it and it will swivel on base it just might be tight.
Yes I can turn it on the base and turn the lens back and forward. But I can't turn it left/right with the 4mm version. I want to mount both on a wall and I think I can't get a good view with just 2-axis adjustment.

The 2.8mm is made 08/2016 and the 4mm is made 09/2016. So actually I like the older design. I think I will return the 4mm version and hopefully another seller has still the old version available.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There should be three Axis..

1 - The whole camera assembly rotates on the base.
2 - The lens moves up and down, 90deg to the base. I had to loosen the side screws for this.
3 - The lens rotates round to straighten the image.

Which one does this camera not do?

Paul

MarcN

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't rotate the lens to straighten the image. I've looked once again but it's really impossible with the 4mm because of the design change.

I have made some new pictures:

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have the identical camera it will turn, unless those screws on the black plate going all the way through to the back but they should not be? don't be gentle see that little finger going up on the base black plate use that with your thumb and push it. Its probably just over tigntened as I had same issue and it does not turn as easily as the other model. For the other axis losen those side screws a bit too swivel.

Attachments

MarcN

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes that parts in your picture will turn, but I can't turn the lens itself (see the red part).

cam.jpg

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The lens does not turn that way on any of them, and you dont need it too if you turn the bottom where I marked in black will provide same angle as if you turned the lens. See the red arrows provide same directional change as you are attempting to do at the top. The screws on the top lens allow up and down of the lens.

Attachments

Last edited:

MarcN

n3wb
Reaction score
The lens does not turn that way on any of them, and you dont need it too
Maybe you don't need it, but I do. If you also have the 'old version' you know where I'm talking about.
The DS-2CD2145F-IS 2.8mm version that I already had (see pictures above) does turn that way for sure.

It's clear how I adjust the 'new version' but it don't have 3-axis adjustment, so personally I don't like this version because of the limited possibilities.