DS-2CD2145FWD-I shallow night lighting

mauretto

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I just installed a DS-2CD2145FWD-I, really nice quality by day, good quality by night in small rooms. But when I try it in a corridor of about 15 meters subjects become invisibles (black) at a distance of 6-7 meters. The cam specs declare 30 meters.
Something is wrong? Have I to choose another model? (and which model?)

Thanks in advance.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But when I try it in a corridor of about 15 meters subjects become invisibles (black) at a distance of 6-7 meters.
Are there any bright reflections from the corridor walls that are suppressing the exposure so you can't see further?

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nothing of that. It's an indoor common corridor without light sources.
If it's in a corridor it's possibly the IR reflecting off the walls causing the image to darken. Try switching off the "Smart Supplement Light" in the camera web page if it's on to prevent the camera from compensating and reducing the power of the IR. Also I've found that switching HLC on will help even out the exposure caused by reflections, start with a setting of 20 and experiment from there. If this camera is connected to a Hikvision NVR, some settings are only available if your logged into the cameras web interface as opposed to the NVR's

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't know the IP address - SADP will show the camera :

If the address shown isn't on your network IP address range you will need to change the PC IP address to be in that range.

Then, knowing the camera IP address, just use the IE11 browser ro access the web GUI via that address.
http://<camera_IP_address>/

mauretto

n3wb
Reaction score
If you don't know the IP address - SADP will show the camera :

If the address shown isn't on your network IP address range you will need to change the PC IP address to be in that range.

Then, knowing the camera IP address, just use the IE11 browser ro access the web GUI via that address.
http://<camera_IP_address>/
I have a plain switch linked to my computer and to the NVR. I can reach (ping) NVR. But I can't ping the POE cams linked to NVR.
I can't connect the POE cam to the switch (the cam has not power). And I guess I cannot link directly my pc to the NVR because its ports are powered.
I need a power injector?

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a plain switch linked to my computer and to the NVR. I can reach (ping) NVR. But I can't ping the POE cams linked to NVR.
I can't connect the POE cam to the switch (the cam has not power). And I guess I cannot link directly my pc to the NVR because its ports are powered.
I need a power injector?
If you go into the menu in the NVR and go to the Camera section you’ll see a list of your IP cameras along with their IP addresses. By default these will be 192.168.254.xxx as assigned by the NVR.

Option 1 - with your PC, login to the NVR webpage. There will be a link for each of the cameras. Click on the one you want and it’ll take you to the cameras own webpage. If there’s no hyperlink for the cameras - find the option in the NVR menu for “virtual host” and switch on.

Option 2 (assuming virtual host is on) - on pc navigate to http://nvr_ipaddress:port_as_shown. Port will be 65001 for cam 1, 65002 for cam 2 etc.

Option 3 - if you have a laptop just plug it into a spare POE port on the NVR (temporally disconnect a cam if needed), set your laptop IP in the range 192.168.254.xxx, then just navigate directly to the cameras webpage by it’s 192.168.254.xxx address

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One other thing...

Any options that are common to both the NVR menu and camera menu should be changed in the NVR only. If you change something in the NVR menu it will update it in the camera, however if you alter something directly on the camera webpage it will affect the change in camera, but not necessarily update the NVR menu/webpage. For example you could have a camera set at 1 frame per second recording while the NVR menu indicates 25 frames per second. This can cause confusion later on.

mauretto

n3wb
Reaction score
If you go into the menu in the NVR and go to the Camera section you’ll see a list of your IP cameras along with their IP addresses. By default these will be 192.168.254.xxx as assigned by the NVR.

Option 1 - with your PC, login to the NVR webpage. There will be a link for each of the cameras. Click on the one you want and it’ll take you to the cameras own webpage. If there’s no hyperlink for the cameras - find the option in the NVR menu for “virtual host” and switch on.

Option 2 (assuming virtual host is on) - on pc navigate to http://nvr_ipaddress:port_as_shown. Port will be 65001 for cam 1, 65002 for cam 2 etc.

Option 3 - if you have a laptop just plug it into a spare POE port on the NVR (temporally disconnect a cam if needed), set your laptop IP in the range 192.168.254.xxx, then just navigate directly to the cameras webpage by it’s 192.168.254.xxx address
Option 1 - How can I connect to NVR? I tried through browser on 80 port and 8000 port (as displayed on network configuration) but I have not reply.
Option 2 - I'll try ASAP
Option 3 - I tried but when I plug my cable to POE port the NVR starts beeping. I tried anyway to ping the NVR, it replied initially but soon it stopped to reply (I worried to damage something).

Anyway I appreciate your help, thanks for your time spent and maybe for your further time to spend :D

mauretto

n3wb
Reaction score
One other thing...

Any options that are common to both the NVR menu and camera menu should be changed in the NVR only. If you change something in the NVR menu it will update it in the camera, however if you alter something directly on the camera webpage it will affect the change in camera, but not necessarily update the NVR menu/webpage. For example you could have a camera set at 1 frame per second recording while the NVR menu indicates 25 frames per second. This can cause confusion later on.
The camera settings have priority than NVR settings. Got it.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Option 1 - How can I connect to NVR? I tried through browser on 80 port and 8000 port (as displayed on network configuration) but I have not reply.
Option 2 - I'll try ASAP
Option 3 - I tried but when I plug my cable to POE port the NVR starts beeping. I tried anyway to ping the NVR, it replied initially but soon it stopped to reply (I worried to damage something).

Anyway I appreciate your help, thanks for your time spent and maybe for your further time to spend :D
1 - I assume you're trying to connect to it "on site" while connected to the same local network with an IP address on your PC in the same range? If so there should be no issue connecting using a web browser using http://IP_Address. If the http port has not been changed from it's default of 80 you don't need to specify it in the address. If you're trying over the web from another location, the NVR ports would have to be forwarded in the router or you'd need to use a VPN.

3 - The NVR beeping will be because an alert is set for "IP Camera Disconnected" if you disconnected one OR you may have caused an "IP address Conflict" if your 192.168.254.xxx address happened to match one of the cameras - set it high to avoid this as the NVR assigns addresses to the cameras in order starting at 254.2

mauretto

n3wb
Reaction score
1 - I assume you're trying to connect to it "on site" while connected to the same local network with an IP address on your PC in the same range? If so there should be no issue connecting using a web browser using http://IP_Address. If the http port has not been changed from it's default of 80 you don't need to specify it in the address. If you're trying over the web from another location, the NVR ports would have to be forwarded in the router or you'd need to use a VPN.

3 - The NVR beeping will be because an alert is set for "IP Camera Disconnected" if you disconnected one OR you may have caused an "IP address Conflict" if your 192.168.254.xxx address happened to match one of the cameras - set it high to avoid this as the NVR assigns addresses to the cameras in order starting at 254.2
1 - Absolutely, my test environment is switch, 1 cable to NVR (from which are attached poe cams), 1 cable to my computer. Network IP range are correct, I can ping the NVR from my computer.
3 - Nope. I used a spare NVR slot, no cams are disconnected. No IP address conflict, NVR address is 192.168.254.1, my test CAM (the only one connected to test purpose) address is 192.168.254.12, My computer address is 192.168.254.100. The common subnet is 255.255.255.0

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1 - Absolutely, my test environment is switch, 1 cable to NVR (from which are attached poe cams), 1 cable to my computer. Network IP range are correct, I can ping the NVR from my computer.
3 - Nope. I used a spare NVR slot, no cams are disconnected. No IP address conflict, NVR address is 192.168.254.1, my test CAM (the only one connected to test purpose) address is 192.168.254.12, My computer address is 192.168.254.100. The common subnet is 255.255.255.0
Only a couple of other things I can think of...

1. Http port is unchanged at 80 in NVR?
2. Http access to the NVR has not been disabled? There is a checkbox but it is enabled by default.
3. The switch. Both the NVR & attached PC are connected to a “standard” port and not one specified as uplink
4. Firewall on your PC blocking the connection
5. Try a different web browser. Depending on the firmware version of the NVR, new versions of Chrome and Firefox may allow plugin free access.

I’m clutching at straws with a couple of those suggestions mind....

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I need a power injector?
OK - I should have asked how the camera was hooked up.
In your problem statement there was no mention of an NVR, nor that the camera was connected to an NVR PoE port.

But you've been given loads of relevant and useful pointers as to how to explore a potential solution.

A sample image showing the scene might also yield constructive comments.

mauretto

n3wb
Reaction score
Only a couple of other things I can think of...

1. Http port is unchanged at 80 in NVR?
2. Http access to the NVR has not been disabled? There is a checkbox but it is enabled by default.
3. The switch. Both the NVR & attached PC are connected to a “standard” port and not one specified as uplink
4. Firewall on your PC blocking the connection
5. Try a different web browser. Depending on the firmware version of the NVR, new versions of Chrome and Firefox may allow plugin free access.

I’m clutching at straws with a couple of those suggestions mind....
1 - no, the http port is 80
2 - I've to check
3 - Standard port
4 - Firewall disabled
5 - I tried with Chrome, anyway it could fail some feauture, I instead get unreachable

I'll find further info on next week, thanks for today.

mauretto

n3wb
Reaction score
OK - I should have asked how the camera was hooked up.
In your problem statement there was no mention of an NVR, nor that the camera was connected to an NVR PoE port.

But you've been given loads of relevant and useful pointers as to how to explore a potential solution.

A sample image showing the scene might also yield constructive comments.
I want to try the solution proposed, but I can't able to reach the config panel.
I'll show images about the problem next week. Thanks.

mauretto

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally reached the web GUI of the NVR.
But now I don't know how to access to the Cam web GUI. There aren't link to connect to the cam GUI from the NVR GUI. I need it to: "Try switching off the "Smart Supplement Light" in the camera web page" as John Williamson suggested.

Meanwhile I attach some sample of the corridor:
- subject at 8 meters
IMG_01.jpg

- subject at 5 meters
IMG_02.jpg