DS-2CD2332-I 2.8mm dead anything better?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One of my DS-2CD2332-I 2.8mm is dead is there anything with a better image? I need 2.8 mm and turret style camera.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a couple of 4mp Hikvision turrets still working ok thankfully. I also have a couple of the varifocal 2mp Dahua 5231Z that I like very much, especially at night, plus you can set the focal length anywhere between 2.7-12mm. You may have already seen the huge thread on that camera.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple of 4mp Hikvision turrets still working ok thankfully. I also have a couple of the varifocal 2mp Dahua 5231Z that I like very much, especially at night, plus you can set the focal length anywhere between 2.7-12mm. You may have already seen the huge thread on that camera.
Do you think the Dahua 5231Z has a better image at 2.7mm or 2.8 vs your 4MP hik? images tend to be soft that wide. It looks like the Dahua 5231Z has better night time image but the camera also cost more probably because of the varifocal.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think the Dahua 5231Z has a better image at 2.7mm or 2.8 vs your 4MP hik? images tend to be soft that wide. It looks like the Dahua 5231Z has better night time image but the camera also cost more probably because of the varifocal.
there are two threads with literally hundreds of posts discussing both fixed and varifocal starlight cameras....they will blow away your turret and the 4mp hik at night and low light. Read the threads.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Once i removed the camera to clean it i noticed that the IR light was on when i plug it in. I looked in SADP and the camera shows up on the list it turns out that it was reset to factory defaults somehow. The model i have does not have a reset button on the pigtail or any that i can see. How did it reset itself? I use a VPN so no port fwd and i checked my routers log there is nonthing..

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
There was a problem with hacks on Hikvision some months back, don't know if yours could have been prone to that or not. Some of the more knowledgeable people on here would know more than I do. Has it been awhile since your firmware was upgraded? Well at least it sounds like you can get your camera working again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Once i removed the camera to clean it i noticed that the IR light was on when i plug it in. I looked in SADP and the camera shows up on the list it turns out that it was reset to factory defaults somehow. The model i have does not have a reset button on the pigtail or any that i can see. How did it reset itself? I use a VPN so no port fwd and i checked my routers log there is nonthing..
If UPnP enabled it would automatically forward.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If UPnP enabled it would automatically forward.
It was on fenderman, i went and turned it off on all my IP cams some had it on others didn't. What's the point in re-setting someone's camera anyway?

My firmware is V5.2.0 build 140721 my camera is a China region, i was under the impression you can not update the firmware without it changing the language.

Thanks for your help.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is a low-effort way for delinquents to cause mayhem without actually causing permanent damage to someone's stuff.
It's very annoying!

Check your router as well - for UPnP on the cameras to be able to create inbound rules from the internet on the router, UPnP must also be enabled on the router.
That's how i found it.....in my routers port fwd chart it was filled out automatically i guess. Why is this crap on by default.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's very annoying!
That's how i found it.....in my routers port fwd chart it was filled out automatically i guess. Why is this crap on by default.
Hundreds of thousands of routers hacked globally, it's possible yours was...who knows? They start there, move to the cams or PC's, other network devices on your LAN.

An excerpt: "...Earlier, Cisco Systems Inc said the hacking campaign targeted devices from Belkin International’s Linksys, MikroTik, Netgear Inc, TP-Link and QNAP. An FBI official told Reuters that the kinds of devices known to be affected by the hack were purchased by users at electronic stores or online."

Full article ==>> FBI warns Russians hacked hundreds of thousands of routers

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hundreds of thousands of routers hacked globally, it's possible yours was...who knows? They start there, move to the cams or PC's, other network devices on your LAN.

An excerpt: "...Earlier, Cisco Systems Inc said the hacking campaign targeted devices from Belkin International’s Linksys, MikroTik, Netgear Inc, TP-Link and QNAP. An FBI official told Reuters that the kinds of devices known to be affected by the hack were purchased by users at electronic stores or online."

Full article ==>> FBI warns Russians hacked hundreds of thousands of routers
I don't use any of them brands. I'm using a synology router it's the best GUI i've seen....interesting read through.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't use any of them brands. I'm using a synology router it's the best GUI i've seen....interesting read through.
Good for you, great product....but it just goes to show you, even the high $$$ devices can have something going on.....like uPNP enabled by default.